Colt Forum banner

561 - 580 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Finally got around to shooting a picture of my 2020 Python I bought new a couple weeks ago over my 2003 Python Elite. Have shot both but not next to each other with the same ammo on the same day...... yet.

And another picture of both of them.

The 2020 was $1.5K from a LGS and the Elite was just over $1.1K back in early 2004 from another LGS. So far I am impressed with the new one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never owned a nickel plated gun. This is the first. It is polished as if it was going to be put on display. It's amazing how bright it is. It's too pretty to shoot, but I bought it to shoot it, not to look at it - I think.

Here's one more photo, taken yesterday morning, hand held, in the rain, with a target from 25 yards. Two shots acceptable, but high. Eight holes in one big cluster. I can't believe I really did this - sure hope I can repeat. It's like the gun was on a rest, which it most certainly was not. The only unusual thing was I only loaded one round at a time, fired, reloaded, for ten rounds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The gun is a showpiece, but like you said, it is meant to be fired. Pythons can be fired and still look spectacular if well taken care of. The nickel might need a bit more care - but I'm not so sure of that - all firearms will eventually show at least a bit of FW&T. Pythons are easy to shoot well and are always eager to please. The only revolver that equals the handling of my old Python is my fine M686. Enjoy your treasure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I may get to shoot this gun in a "fun Bullseye Match" tomorrow for "Center Fire". That means learning how to shoot the Python reliably and accurately in Double Action. I've been practicing for the past hour or so. It has gone from "no way!", to "maybe"..... That trigger action is SO smooth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Those triggers are delightful! My Python - which I've owned for around 45 years - has fired a good many target wadcutter loads but way less than one box of actual magnums. If I want to shoot magnums I pick up the 686.

561 - 580 of 589 Posts