Colt Forum banner

621 - 639 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
My NIB 4.25 inch New Python; “only” $200 over MSRP on GB. That’s as cheap as I’ve seen them. Here’s the funny part of the story, I ordered a six inch barrel, I figured the dealer botched up, until I saw the box; serial number matches but it says it’s a six inch. The screw-up was on Colt’s end. The dealer sold out within hours so I’d not be getting another but my money back so I accepted the transfer from my FFL.

Folks, this pistol is light years beyond my new S&W 686+ pro, which is suffering light primer strikes and a sticky cylinder opening. The quality of the stainless finish blows away the Smith. Everything on this Colt is precise, smooth and literal perfection. Best double action trigger I’ve ever felt on a revolver, no stacking. It feels better than some of the classic Pythons I’ve owned, and hopefully without the timing issues spitting lead on my face. Very, very impressed. More after she’s been to the range....

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's a beauty! They still look like Pythons and still perform like them (or better). Mine's a near 50 year old and it gets babied; yours is also likely tougher than their granddaddies were.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my 6" Nickel finish from the late 70's - only a few rounds through it.
View attachment 736143 View attachment 736144
That is one absolutely beautiful weapon, of course I would say that since mine is almost identical to yours. I think about the only difference between ours is your front sight appears to be a bit different. Like you, I bet I haven't fired more than 6 to 10 rounds thru it... Do you know when yours was made and what it cost you. Mine was made in 1977, I bought mine new for $500 dollars, or at least that's what I think it cost. Not a bad investment since I hear these are now worth $3000 to $3500 in the conditions ours is in. It's worth more if you still have the original carton and paperwork, which I do not. You have a beautiful weapon sir. Beautiful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's my blued one from the late 70s. Poor photo but the Python is still pristine. It has fired a fair amount of .38 spl wadcutters but hasn't been fired in quite a number of years.
Thanks for sharing the pic. I love the nickel finish on mine but I have to say that blued steel on the Python frame just looks mean.. and by mean, I mean outstanding. Beautiful gun!!!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
My new Python. Picked it up last week. Absolutely feels like a Python. If anyone had reservations about buying one forget them. The gun is fantastic!
Screenshot_20210429-081952_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210429-081901_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
1979 4" Nickel with fake ivory...Closest thing I have to a BBQ gun. She shoots as good as she looks! Now if I could just get large quantities of inexpensive ammo.

View attachment 736760
Darklord. that is one sweet weapon... Good luck finding inexpensive ammo. I've tried all of the big " gun stores " in my area and other than rifle or shot gun ammo, they're completely out of all the major calibers. I was able to snag a couple of boxes of 38 spcl hp's to keep in my python but can't find .357 ammo. In fact a friend of mine told me about an on line site that has plenty of ammo ready to ship. I looked them up trying to find some hollow points for my Colt 9mm Lugar Commander. oh, they had some, but it was going to cost me just under 117.00 for 1 box of ammo including shipping. I passed and glad I did.. Earlier this evening I went into one of the big box store gun departments looking for ammo. I was told they only sell you a box of ammo when you buy a gun from them, but since I had recently purchased a 380 shield from them, I talked the guy behind the counter into selling me 2 boxes of 9mm hollow points. They weren't a hundred bucks either, Ran me 22 dollars a box, 25 rounds per box. I snatched them up on the spot. Tried to talk him into a 3rd box but he wouldn't go for it. lol. Enjoy that Colt. she's a beauty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man, there is just something special about a Python. It's so damn intimidating, not to mention a beautiful firearm. Congrats.

Roland

621 - 639 of 639 Posts