Colt Forum banner

The Colt Python Showroom.... PYTHON PICTURES

553K views 715 replies 348 participants last post by  Mysnakegun 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you like Pythons & like pictures, this threads for you.

****Post PYTHON pictures ONLY please****

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

In loving memory of the Colt Python.

#555 ·
I'm actually thinking cross draw belt rig for the King Cobra and shoulder setup for the Python. Both at the same time with a 1911 OWB on the right with an HK on a drop leg thigh rig below it. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

#557 ·
I'll show up at work like that tomorrow morning here on base. Then I'll have plenty of days off from work (or anything else) to think about how awesome Colt's snake gun are...

Not sure if the newer Pythons will be released in Blue like the previous generation but they sure would look super nice if they did. S&W and Ruger wheel guns look pretty good, but nothing comes close to a fine Colt (especially a Python).

Reactions: Mysnakegun
#559 · (Edited)
You better put this in a safety deposit box and insure the key/s are kept in a seperate safe place... seriously...and have an appraiser quote you a qualified replacement value a reputable insurance company can live with.
How did you not get out bid...did the spectators not realize what was being bid on....come on...would have loved being apart of that action just to make it interesting.

#563 ·
You all know what the new Pythons look like, but although I've had at least one handgun since 1974, this is my first Colt. So I hope you'll forgive me for being enthusiastic about it.

Just installed a set of Deer Hollow 3rd gen grips, and they are much better than the original laminated factory grips. Can't wait to get to the range with the new combo. Now if Wilson Combat would ever get their rear sight assembly back in stock ......
Revolver Blue Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

#580 · (Edited)
This is my Python bought in 1981. Grips are Hogue Cocobolo found at a gun show. I could not get comfortable with the factory grips, so I put them back in the box for safe keeping. Here is how I wound up with the Python. I had bought a 6" Diamondback in 38 special but the cylinder release operated roughly. I returned it to the gun shop to see if their gunsmith could smooth it up. The so called gunsmith also decided on his own to file the forcing cone because he thought it was causing cylinder drag. He told me this when I went to pick it up. I'm glad I checked it then as the hack job was terrible too much gap that was also uneven. After speaking with the owner he let me trade the gun for this Python for a very little difference.
Revolver Wood Trigger Air gun Hood

#581 · (Edited)
This is my Python bought in 1981. Grips are Hogue Cocobolo found at a gun show. I could not get comfortable with the factory grips, so I put them back in the box for safe keeping. Here is how I wound up with the Python. I had bought a 6" Diamondback in 38 special but the cylinder release operated roughly. I returned it to the gun shop to see if their gunsmith could smooth it up. The so called gunsmith also decided on his own to file the forcing cone because he thought it was causing cylinder drag. He told me this when I went to pick it up. I'm glad I checked it then as the hack job was terrible too much gap that was also uneven. Afte speaking with the owner he let me trade the gun for this Python for a very little difference. View attachment 840112
Great looking grips...I have a pair of Camo Lamo Hogue grips with the cap as well, ready to strap on when I get my gun back from Heffron Precision hopefully soon. Btw, how do you like those grips?

#583 ·
Today I lightly modded a couple of my Pythons. The new 3” was purchased as a “blemish” from a seller on Gunbroker. I bought it to make a carry gun for playing around in the woods. Figured a “blemish” at a really good price would be a great fit. Found some new/old stock Colt Pachmeyers on ebay and finally got my Wilson sights delivered. The sights have the red fiber optic front and U-notch rear. It’ll ride in a nice DeSantis leather holster while out on the side by side or just messing around in the woods. The other is a Blue 2“ Python now sporting a set of stags bought off an eBay seller.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

Automotive exhaust Font Auto part Automotive lighting Metal

#584 · (Edited)
I owned a 6” blue model from the late 70’s and like a whore sold out when prices hit the roof. I always regretted it so when the new ones came out I had to buy all three.
As much as I liked my blue one I’m just as pleased if not more so with the new models. Absolutely no complaints with them.
(EDIT) I just looked at the photo of my 6” and it appears there’s a crack in the crane but it was just a hair and wiped off😮‍💨.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory
Air gun Grey Gun accessory Gun barrel Trigger
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Shotgun

#587 ·
The Python Hunter I purchased last week...cleaned up. The foam in the case had disintegrated...all over the gun and accessories. It took some effort to clean the revolver up but it did clean up nicely. I obtained new, reproduction foam from an eBay vendor and it fits perfectly.

There was verdigris on the Colt/Leupold disc on the scope...cleaned up very well. There was foam debris sticking all over the rear sight which took some time to clean out. I didn't remove the side plate but the action works very smoothly and is clean inside the stocks. The aluminum cleaning rod still needs some work to get it looking new...if it ever will again but I'll keep working on it. There's still some verdigris on the brass cone stored on the cleaning rod...still needs some cleaning effort. The aluminum case itself cleaned up after getting foam debris out of it.

I don't plan on storing the revolver itself inside the case...don't want any further interaction between it and the foam. I'll store it wrapped in Brownell's Gun Wrap paper inside a gun rug...same with the cleaning rod.

Now I have something like ten Pythons of various vintages and finishes...blue...nickel...electroless nickel and stainless. I need to get a family photograph of them all.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part

Trigger Gun barrel Gas Gun accessory Air gun

Trigger Office equipment Air gun Gun accessory Gas

#589 ·
The Python Hunter I purchased last week...cleaned up. The foam in the case had disintegrated...all over the gun and accessories. It took some effort to clean the revolver up but it did clean up nicely. I obtained new, reproduction foam from an eBay vendor and it fits perfectly.

There was verdigris on the Colt/Leupold disc on the scope...cleaned up very well. There was foam debris sticking all over the rear sight which took some time to clean out. I didn't remove the side plate but the action works very smoothly and is clean inside the stocks. The aluminum cleaning rod still needs some work to get it looking new...if it ever will again but I'll keep working on it. There's still some verdigris on the brass cone stored on the cleaning rod...still needs some cleaning effort. The aluminum case itself cleaned up after getting foam debris out of it.

I don't plan on storing the revolver itself inside the case...don't want any further interaction between it and the foam. I'll store it wrapped in Brownell's Gun Wrap paper inside a gun rug...same with the cleaning rod.

Now I have something like ten Pythons of various vintages and finishes...blue...nickel...electroless nickel and stainless. I need to get a family photograph of them all.
View attachment 845622

View attachment 845623

View attachment 845624
Nice find!

I sold my '80 version of the 8" hunter early last year...yes remorse of course. It was Royal Blue...although w/o any of the important accessories.