Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got the book at the house, but I won't be home till at least Christmas, all going well. It is not a big book. I don't want to say how good it is without looking directly at it. I have to use several books for Lightnings. If you can hold off till then, I'll have a look at it and could send scanned pages if needed, for you to look at.
Cheers

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the book at the house, but I won't be home till at least Christmas, all going well. It is not a big book. I don't want to say how good it is without looking directly at it. I have to use several books for Lightnings. If you can hold off till then, I'll have a look at it and could send scanned pages if needed, for you to look at.
Cheers
Much thanks. I am looking to add Lightning rifle reference(s) to my collection. Would love to know which books you use since there does not seem to be much written about them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi All - I'm interested in purchasing a copy of this book - its not cheap, so I want to make sure it is a good resource before i spend the cash. Does anyone own the book, and is it a good resource on Lightning Rifles? Thanks!

It's a good book, although the prices I've seen of $125 to $200+ does appear a bit steep. Do not expect in-depth nuts and bolts info like you have in A STUDY of the SAA by GK&M. BUT, it's about all you can find on the Lightning rifles.

The book is about 8"x10" with 120 pages or so. Subtracting the short chapter on the Burgess rifle and the many copies of patent drawings in the back of the book, the usable info on the Lightning is about 75 pages.

If you would like copies of a few pages let me know, or if you want to borrow the book to help make your decision I can send it to you.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
It is pricey, but as far as I know the only dedicated Lightning book there is. It does give serial number ranges for all 3 frame sizes and I would recommend it for anyone who has Lightnings or building a library.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gday, i thought i had seen that name somewhere before ,Ted is from my state in Australia . I cant help with the book but he has obviously been at it a long time !
Cheers from Oz

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I have the book and do not find it very helpful. The pictures are poor (black and white only) and the text is not very detailed. I judge all books by Doug Sheldon's "Colt's Super .38." This book pales by comparison. There are serial number charts, but then there are similar charts in TBOCF.

That said, some information is better than no information. I do not find the reproductions of the patents interesting, but some might. The reproductions of catalog pages are interesting, but of poor quality. The sections on cartridges are not helpful, since the cartridges are widely used. The accessories section is interesting, but the quality of the reproduction is again poor.

I am glad I have bought every book on Colts that I have (except the Sapp books), and I am glad I have this one because I like Lightenings. I just wish it had better pictures and more information in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts