Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot be the only one that goes through stuff like this...

Saw an ad. 5 modern Colt 1911 variants for sale. Must take all, $5,500*. All 5 were series 80. Commander, Officer, Combat Commander and that little 3inch barrel one. Some SS and some blue. Naturally I only wanted two of them but now had three pistols I had no interest in.

So there I am walking around a new to me gunstore and what do I see but a King's Custom 1911 Gov. full boat custom job. Grew up in the town next to Kings and have shopped there on and off since the 1970's. Knew Al back then and again when he joined my gun club years later.

Talked with the owner and at the end of the day. He took the three Colts and I got the King's Custom and some cash.

I am a very happy guy. :D

What craziness have you gone through to get that Colt you had to have?

* A killer price in California where we cannot buy these unless it is from a private owner in State. No shipping allowed. And some of them had never been offered for sale in Ca. as a new gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Being trapped in the people’s republic of Californiastan I’ve driven hours 10’days apart and over spent to grab a Colt 1911. Sadly finding a. Decent S70 that’s not already cut up, beat up or insanely priced is much like winning the lottery here in Nor Cal :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being trapped in the people’s republic of Californiastan I’ve driven hours 10’days apart and over spent to grab a Colt 1911. Sadly finding a. Decent S70 that’s not already cut up, beat up or insanely priced is much like winning the lottery here in Nor Cal :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Believe me. All the good Colts are in NorCal. I can barely find one down here in the South end. You lucky guys!

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Why the hassle over 1911’s there?
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.
Because of the restrictions above, handguns can't be sent into CA unless they are on the approved roster. Any new gun (not currently on the roster) needs Micro stamping technology on the firing pin (nobody is doing it). This leaves only the handguns that are already here. Luckily, a lot of classic guns are starting to fall into the C&R category and are exempt form being on the roster.

There's also other issues, but my blood pressure is high enough already.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I cannot abide the crap that gets posted about Kalifornistan.
It is as pointless and meaningless an assortment of oppressive subjugation as has ever evolved in history, anywhere.
Is everyone, or nearly everyone there given leave of their senses?
The place was once, a long time ago, the hub, the pinnacle of firearms culture and technology.
Some of the finest (the FINEST) experience, writing, engineering, thought in the field of guns in general, came out of that place.
All the WWII guys.
All the WWI guys before them.
All the 18th & 19th century men who made this great republic.
All of 'em.
They were the high end resource.
They promoted the whole notion of a constitutional representative republic.

^^^These are the obligatory firearms content.
They can be swapped, traded, sold, lent, rented, or given away, free of 'imperial entanglements'
in the free (ish) State of Maine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cannot abide the crap that gets posted about Kalifornistan.
It is as pointless and meaningless an assortment of oppressive subjugation as has ever evolved in history, anywhere.
Is everyone, or nearly everyone there given leave of their senses?
The place was once, a long time ago, the hub, the pinnacle of firearms culture and technology.
Some of the finest (the FINEST) experience, writing, engineering, thought in the field of guns in general, came out of that place.
All the WWII guys.
All the WWI guys before them.
All the 18th & 19th century men who made this great republic.
All of 'em.
They were the high end resource.
They promoted the whole notion of a constitutional representative republic.

^^^These are the obligatory firearms content.
They can be swapped, traded, sold, lent, rented, or given away, free of 'imperial entanglements'
in the free (ish) State of Maine.
As you know California used to be a very conservative state. But we had the summer of love back in 69 and every hippy, freak and free left leaning thinker came to Ca. and never left.

These fine folks got jobs in schools, governments and businesses and voted democrat. Then they decided it was mean to not let people from foreign lands sneak across the border. So people came across the border and were instructed to register to vote.

Now California is a liberal paradise. Like Detroit and Chicago but state wide.

So much wonderfulness in this state being wasted by our majority political party.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I was up until 1 this morning negotiating a deal on a 1938 Colt Government Model that is slide matching with all National Match features but is NOT marked National Match. Colt letter confirms it. It comes with a 1947 made conversion kit in the box too! That’s crazy. Right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was up until 1 this morning negotiating a deal on a 1938 Colt Government Model that is slide matching with all National Match features but is NOT marked National Match. Colt letter confirms it. It comes with a 1947 made conversion kit in the box too! That’s crazy. Right?

Did you get it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
As you know California used to be a very conservative state. But we had the summer of love back in 69 and every hippy, freak and free left leaning thinker came to Ca. and never left.

These fine folks got jobs in schools, governments and businesses and voted democrat. Then they decided it was mean to not let people from foreign lands sneak across the border. So people came across the border and were instructed to register to vote.

Now California is a liberal paradise. Like Detroit and Chicago but state wide.

So much wonderfulness in this state being wasted by our majority political party.
I was California dreamn' since the summer of love '67. I and many in my family moved there in the mid '70's l opened a nice business and was heavy into the car culture (hot rods) and enjoyed the many gun stores, shows and ranges. Its all gone now and we have finally escaped the madness back to Michigan. Too bad for such a beautiful state. Just saying. O ya bought my first gun there. A Colt 70's Combat Government

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Because of the restrictions above, handguns can't be sent into CA unless they are on the approved roster. Any new gun (not currently on the roster) needs Micro stamping technology on the firing pin (nobody is doing it). This leaves only the handguns that are already here. Luckily, a lot of classic guns are starting to fall into the C&R category and are exempt form being on the roster.

There's also other issues, but my blood pressure is high enough already.
Forgive me for asking, but what is this "micro stamping technology" you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Forgive me for asking, but what is this "micro stamping technology" you mentioned?
Microstamping is a ballistics identification technology. Microscopic markings are engraved onto the tip of the firing pin and onto the breech face of a firearm with a laser. When the gun is fired, these etchings are transferred to the primer by the firing pin and to the cartridge case head by the breech face, using the pressure created when a round is fired. After being fired, if the cases are recovered by police, the microscopic markings imprinted on the cartridges can then be examined by forensic ballistics experts to help trace the firearm to the last registered owner.[1] A California law requiring the use of microstamping technology in all new semiautomatic firearms sold in the state has attracted controversy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstamping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts