Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In defiance of our banana republic gov and the commie loving Dictator and his puppets I went out and purchased this today to protest the signing of the ATT!

As Charlton Heston once said , in summary..."From my cold dead fingers.... Try and take it away! "

Gun Airsoft gun Machine gun Gun accessory Air gun

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Mustango....I also wrote both my Senator's asking them to publicaly denounce the ATT and its signing by this regime! Secondly , I urged both of them to vote NO when it arrives on the senate floor.

Reactions: Collects

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thanks Mustango....I also wrote both my Senator's asking the to publicaly denounce the ATT and its signing by this regime! Secondly , I urged both of them to vote NO when it arrives on the senate floor.
Outstanding protests, Mike! Our esteemed and beloved elected leaders all recognize and understand their Constituents' displeasure when reminded with swift, forceful and unmistakable messages about pink slips on Election Day.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You Major!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thanks Mustango....I also wrote both my Senator's asking them to publicaly denounce the ATT and its signing by this regime! Secondly , I urged both of them to vote NO when it arrives on the senate floor.
Me, too! I just finished my letters to Senators Rubio and Nelson here in Florida. If 22,500+ Forum members voiced their feelings that would be a small, but solid, building block in opposition to this incredibly blatant attack on our 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice purchase, Mike....Just don't try and stick any 5.56 rds in it. Am I correct in seeing .223 stamped on the side?

Reactions: MikenAZ

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I once did the same thing.
I was out at the range and on the way home I heard Bill "BJ" Clinton raving about the evil AK-47 rifle.
So I drove straight to a gun store and checked out the two AK's they had to see what all the fuss was about.
I left with a Bulgarian SLR-96.

By the way....remember when the "Evil Gun" of the day was the AK?
Now it's the apparently even more evil AR.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes Sir ...its marked .223 , I was already discussing that with my local AR expert. I have a good supply of .223 at hand as well as 5.56. the 5.56 is of course for my AR15 A2 and my LE6920 :)

Oh yes , I qualified and carried for a short time while in the USAF in the 80s. I love this rifle!! Thx ColtLE6920.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I recall correctly McCain had nothing but kind words for the Dictator when he took office . Such as "he's a honorable man, he will do a fine job......ect. And just a few days ago McCain stabs Ted Cruz in the back by saying "I hate that ^&*king guy!!" Im ashamed to have McCain as a Senator and the jury is still out on Flake as far as Im concerned! But still these two guys and My Congressman (Salmon) hear from me regularly. Ive also wrote Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Mike Lee this week .Im about to send one off to McConnell to!!

Reactions: coltle6920

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Guys,

Back to this Rifle...am I correct in believing this barrel has a 1:12 twist rate? its only marked with the following

" C MP Chrome Bore " No twist rate noted, unless its under the hand guards.

Colts web site does not recognize the SN. After looking at Bighammer , It was of some help I surmized it to be what I think to be a late 70s or early 80s rifle?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love the rifle, hate the circumstances that forces you to purchase it. I to will be writing a letter, what is it going to take for these people to see that the American people have spoken. Look at the firearm sales on and off the books in the last few years, Kerry is such a trader.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SN is SP180156......Ive read and been told many things abot 223 /556 my mind is on RAM overload and not sure what is true/flase anymore.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Congrats on your new Colt SP1 rifle.

My first AR and centerfire rifle was also a Colt SP1 which I bought new in 1971, I learned a lot about taking it apart except for the barrel and the receiver extension, and I wish I had not sold it to get a new Colt model Sporter II rifle in 1984.

My guess from your serial number it is made around 1984 or '85 ('85 was the last year it was produced - see serial number ref link below) and I agree that it should take 5.56 NATO M193 (55 gr) ammo because AR-15 and M-16A1 barrels are the same (1/ 12 twist, government profile, & 5.56 chamber) since they started making them in 1963/ 1964, you could also use commercial weaker loads .223 55 gr bullets or lighter.

Back in the early 70s military surplus M193 are hard to find so I mainly just use commercial .223 ammo without any problems, I probably used around 15K rounds on my SP1 rifle and the barrel is worn but still shoots fine before I sold it.

Currently my FrankenColt that I put together in 2005 is my only 20" long barrel Colt AR-15, it have a USGI M16A2 Colt upper half and Colt Match Target HBAR model MT6601 lower half, I also have two 6920 carbines, two 6721 HBAR carbines, a LMT Defender 16" standard patrol model M4 carbine, and a RRA A4 flattop 9mm carbine.

Page Title

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
John,

Thanks for the Post! Im in Springfield Mo this weekend. While in town I had a chance to visit the NRA firearm display at the Bass Pro Shop. Awesome Display may I add. Looky what I found on dispaly.......Charlton Hestons Rifle from his "Cold Dead Hands speech!

Experimental musical instrument Musical instrument Electronic instrument Bowed string instrument Table Wood Hardwood Wood stain

As we all know some of our purchases come with stories. Well my SP1 has this....

It was on consignment at my LGS near Gilbert. The sad part is it belonged to a dealer in the Peoples Republik of California. Rifles like this are no longer allowed to be sold to the law abiding citizen of that state ....very sad and dark times I must say.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link AR...my SP1 is of the early 80's models. My sons and I will be shooting it next weekend!!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It's the caliber marking on the barrel that matters, not the receiver. If the barrel is marked 5.56 you are good to go. Nice old school shooter, I like it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.