Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way I see it, there are 3 models that possibly 'define' Colt: the Python, Single Action Army, and 1911. Of those 3, which model do you guys think is the icon? In other words, when someone says 'Colt' to you, which model jumps into your head first?

My order:

1 (tie) - Python, Single Action Army
3 - 1911

Try as I might, I just can't separate the Python and SAA as the flagship model. I could easily pick the Python first but would have to ignore that the SAA is chambered in .45 Colt and is the one model most recognizable to the general public. In my mind the 1911 is 3rd, but maybe that is because I like revolvers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I would rate the Single Action Army as the definitive Colt.

It was designed in house and apparently still had touches of Col. Colt's own ideas within it's design.

The 1911 is a close second but is also an iconic symbol of John Browning.

Though I really do want to add a Python to the menagerie I view it as a high style study in marketing. It would define Colt in the same way tail fins on the '59 Coupe de Ville define Cadillac.

The workhorse Official Police woud seem to be a good choice for third place to me.

It is interesting to consider your post Weagle.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When you ask me this -being a wheeler myself- I can't argue about your scorelist.

However if you look at what kind of impact from a historical point of view these guns have made and are still making now as we speak I must put the SAA and the 1911 split on no.1.

The Python is a masterpiece no doubt about it, but did it made your homecountry like the SAA did?
The 1911 is the most copied gunplatform in the world. The shape of it is being recreated by almost every gunmanufacturer in the world.

As for the Python once again it is a beautiful gun, but did it change history?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Single action army. Also 1911. Like them all of course. I also dont really automaticly picture python for same reason as somebody before me said. I agree with the offical police, as that is what you see in old movies, and what I first wore 42 years ago.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with the SAA and the 1911 Govt Model.
And I'd add the M16/AR15. Stoner's design, but Colt's marketing and manufacturing. And now more copied than the 1911!
Close after that may be either the 1860 Army or 1851 Navy.

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
SAA , Govt Model , Python

·
Registered
491 Posts
I made a post a while back regarding a gun magazine article........A Stable full of Colts...............

SAA, 1911, Woodsman, Python, and I don't remember the 5th?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have to agree with the some of the others as the SAA, then the 1911 and finally the Python.
As we still see over all these years and still today, all 3 are the MOST copied by almost ALL the gun companies, yes , even the Python with it's built -in rib across the top of the barrel,with a full underlug, they ALL have that now.................. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
bmmcgilvray has it right, in my mind. The SAA and 1911 designs changed history. The Python, although pretty, has had nowhere near the same level of influence. The vent rib, underlug, short action and hammer were all rip offs of D.W. King's work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts