Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been busy; custom grips, metal work and tune-ups.

And I want to say my heart is with you and yours who can’t work right now.

I’m a one man shop (with no retail) so I can come in, do my work and Lock my door!

Here’s an early 2nd gen 45C barrel that someone had held with a vice. I’m not sure the vise was used to remove or replace the barrel, nonetheless it was unsightly - these marks were on both sides.

There’s a process in doing this so there’s no waves or flat areas and...it’s time consuming. Plus doing the final finish in the right direction is imperative. You can - if you zoom in see a tiny prick in the metal where the major bites were, but for the sake of keeping the barrel dimentional I stopped where I did.
This is at 1500 grit - well beyond where this was finished from the factory. (It is out getting a custom blue with its other parts now)

This goes to show there isn’t any sense in “living with” something unsightly on a non-historical gun.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
I have found that some of this damage can be tapped out. Steel is incompressible, so a dent just means that the displaced metal migrated somewhere else. When it migrates to that area surrounding the dent, it can be mostly tapped back into place. Developing the most efficient method of achieving this is the main trick to success. Wish that I had some pictures to show.

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
I bought a Winchester 92 that someone had beaten the crap out of the barrel between the reciver and the back sight. I peened much of the metal back before sanding to at least reduced the ugliness.

https://youtu.be/0xvONp9wxdc
A very good U-Tube instruction on how to do this. Much improved! I often use a very hard tool steel to beat out dents - like a 3/8" x 3/8" cutter for a lathe. Aside from being hard, the 3/8" surfaces are also factory ground leaving smooth and straight flats on all sides. Positioned over a dent, the tool is tapped with a hammer.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The question of 'why' is usually one of two answers - changing out a barrel, or attempting to adjust a front sight after reading all those articles in 'Shooting Times', and thinking ''I' can do 'that'...

It's the equivalent of 'Hold Ma Beer, An Watch This...'

Nice work, Bill.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Gorgeous! Your craftsmanship is from the golden age of Colt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts