Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi There,

Here's a photo of the Duke's most popular gun. The American Rifleman had an excellent article on this gun in the October, 2007 issue.

If you look closely at the Colt in that pic, You can see
the frame is from a Bisley model.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Great article and Phil S. got it almost right. The "Tea Stained Ivory Grips" were Catalin a 1920s type plastic.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good read. I found this line in it entertaining.

"By the way, for those of you who shuddered (along with yours truly) when Wayne’s character J.B. Books fell to his death in the saloon and young Ron Howard sent Books’ gun crashing across the room … never fear, that airborne six-shooter was actually a cheap double gun made up to look like one of Duke’s Great Western Arms six-guns. Wayne was a gun collector; he never would have allowed such a fine piece to be abused that way."

The "cheap double gun" in question was a ruger.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Good read. I found this line in it entertaining.

"By the way, for those of you who shuddered (along with yours truly) when Wayne’s character J.B. Books fell to his death in the saloon and young Ron Howard sent Books’ gun crashing across the room … never fear, that airborne six-shooter was actually a cheap double gun made up to look like one of Duke’s Great Western Arms six-guns. Wayne was a gun collector; he never would have allowed such a fine piece to be abused that way."

The "cheap double gun" in question was a ruger.
"Wayne was a gun collector; he would never have allowed such a fine piece to be abused that way."
"The 'cheap double gun' in question was a Ruger."

The author's statement stands on its own. :p

Reactions: LEO918

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have one of those coins. My wife's grandmother gave it to me a few years back at Christmas. Never been a fan of commemoratives, but you can give me that JW with ivories any day. Is the other SAA a JW commemorative as well?

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
I have one of those coins. My wife's grandmother gave it to me a few years back at Christmas. Never been a fan of commemoratives, but you can give me that JW with ivories any day. Is the other SAA a JW commemorative as well?
The other SAA is a standard 3rd generation .45 that belonged to my late brother. I added the reproduction stocks to emulate what Duke carried in films. The hat is a licensed copy of one John Wayne wore in some of his films...not sure which films. I picked it up in AZ a few years ago. The holster and belt is a Bianchi set made to go with Colt's commemorative revolver. I also have a Bianchi scabbard for the commemorative Model 94 I have. Along with that I have a .22 SAA "Duke" commemorative.

I have several autographed photos and a mailing envelope from John Wayne...my dad met him back in the early '60s when he owned a local newspaper near DC. My dad met many politicians, actors and celebrities that were in town...he said many were truly nice and friendly and some were not as they appeared on television...some were arrogant and pompous and truly obnoxious in person. I still have my dad's collection of autographed photos from actors, a couple of Presidents and others in public life.

I think it's obvious I'm a Duke fan.

Reactions: Colt-SL and LEO918

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Awesome...how can you do better than a SAA John Wayne would carry and in an El Paso rig?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts