Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last year and a half I've been trying to find a replacement ratchet for a Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20 w.c.f. At some point during this revolvers life a hatchet man of a gun smith misformed the hand causing the ratchet to wear abnormally. While I have been able to find a new hand the ratchet has eluded me for some time. I've searched for the part at (Numrich Gun Parts, Colt, Jack First, Larry Gun Parts, Pennsylvania Gun parts and a few others). I've also taken to scouring tables at gun shows for the part. So far no luck. I could really use some help in finding this part or a gun in the same caliber that can be used for parts. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Have you been confining yoyr search to ONLY a ratchet for 32/20? Just checked the diameter of the "circular cutouts" on ratchets on a 32/20 and .38 sp. Official Police-they are IDENTICAL.

The 32/20 is bottle necked,and its head diameter is very close to the .38 Special. There are a helluva lot more .38 Special Police Positive and Detective Specials out there than 32/20 P.P.s. I also would not be surprised if a ratchet from a .38 S&W,or .38 New Police,as Colt called this round,from the regular Police Positive model(not Special) would fit as they are very same in diameter to the other 2 I mentioned.

Good Luck(P.S. thought I had a ratchet "on hand",but my "stash" is mostly for New Services,E Frames and SAA's among Colts.

Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great information. I had at some point compaired the 38 and 32-20 head space dimensions but unfortunalty I compaired a 32 H&R Mag with the 38. I may go ahead and order a 38 ratchet just to get one in my hands. Not sure why I haven't thought of this sooner but for some reason I could not think outside the box. Also I'll be sending Lee's gun parts a letter to see if they have the part I'm looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts