1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Welcome from the land of evil spirits!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts

"Other marque items of the collection that will be auctioned include the gun John Selman used to kill John Wesley Hardin at the Acme Saloon in El Paso in 1895, as well as the gun Hardin was carrying when he was killed. Hardin’s final bar tab, which is autographed is also being sold and is valued at $10,000-15,000

“There’s just a lot of really terrific stuff,"! That's for sure!

Great first post !

"One of the most famous weapons of the wild west, the gun that killed Billy the Kid, tomorrow will be returned to Mrs. Pat Garrett, widow of the pioneer sheriff who ended the young desperado's bloody career.
At a little ceremony in Las Cruces, N. M., Atty. U.S. Goen, who obtained possession of the gun for Mrs. Garrett after a legal battle that went to the Supreme court of Texas, will hand her the historic, single-action, .44 caliber revolver.
Mrs. Garrett is ill, but said she would be able to stand on the front porch of ,her Las Cruces home and receive the gun.
The weapon was left with Tom Powers for exhibition purposes in his old Coney Island saloon in 1904."

Welcome to the Colt forum! Glad to have you here~

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I know this gun and this collection intimately(I’m on the left). In 1976 my sister and I took this photo with dear friend Gaines DeGraffenried at The Texas Ranger Museum. My parents bought the gun in 1983 on the anniversary of BTK’s death. My mom said “it was a sign” so they made the deal and took it home to College Station where it has been for almost 40 years. I didn’t know how much to share, but ya’ll have been so welcoming and my parents deserve to be celebrated for preserving these guns etc when no one else cared about “relic guns.”

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unbelievable! , and your almost as pretty as your sister ( she got the Colt ).
I’m gonna have to go read the link , and reminisce about second grade in 1976 .
Thanks so much for sharing, TexasGirl 😍
This was a Christmas Card photo. Not very PC in this day and age! My sister and I spent our childhood’s at cemeteries, gun shows, OK Corral and the like while our friends went to the beach. I’m happy to answer any questions about the guns my parents collected…we were never allowed to discuss them growing up for security reasons but I think my parents deserve some recognition. It’s pretty amazing stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Gratitude and respect for your parents foresight....this collection is beyond imagination as far as historical documented items...so many people stretch the truth on old guns...this collection is dead solid perfect on provenance....great wishes on your sale....tony

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gratitude and respect for your parents foresight....this collection is beyond imagination as far as historical documented items...so many people stretch the truth on old guns...this collection is dead solid perfect on provenance....great wishes on your sale....tony
Awww! Thank you, Tony. Daily we say how lucky we are to have had mom and daddy. They gave us a love of history, western history in particular.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. Great first appearance to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I like the guns and the story. While I don't own any guns that valuable I did raise my children going with me to guns shows. Those memories are priceless to me. I do have some guns with great Americana history, I love their history. I hope if everything works out in the end I get to leave them to my children or grandkids. Time will tell. Thanks for sharing with us. Especially the pic. I truly love it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the guns and the story. While I don't own any guns that valuable I did raise my children going with me to guns shows. Those memories are priceless to me. I do have some guns with great Americana history, I love their history. I hope if everything works out in the end I get to leave them to my children or grandkids. Time will tell. Thanks for sharing with us. Especially the pic. I truly love it.
Memories are forever (I hope!) so while we may be selling the collection no one will take our memories. Same for you and your children. My last words to daddy 2.5 years ago were thank you for the DNA because I’ve been blessed and I PROMISE we will look after your collection. He knew we couldn’t keep it forever but we really took our time to find the “right fit” with Bonham’s. Like us, they’re in awe of what my parents preserved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm really sorry for the loss of your father. I hope you're mother is well.
Sadly, she has Alzheimer’s so she doesn’t remember the collection but she remembers my sister and me. We’ll take it! My parents were thorough and always included us in the discussion so we remember them buying each and every item. Daddy was especially excited to buy the shotgun Wild Bill Hickok was originally buried with before his body was moved. The Olinger gun BTk used to shoot his way out of jail (and Olinger) is my favorite in the collection.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
1 - 20 of 107 Posts