Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time, I had a Stoeger Luger. It could do the most amazing, "dissapearing bullet trick." You could shoot all afternoon at ever decreasing range and NEVER hit the target! You could get so close, you'd destroy the paper from the muzzle blast - but a bullet hole? All the Saints in Heaven were guarding that bulls-eye. Then there was the Kansas Highway Patrol issue S&W #66 that did a lewd dance to amaze your friends ... you could work the trigger and spin the cylinder and the hammer would sort of, "hump up and down," and the gun NEVER fire! I special ordered a brand new Python in '78, fired 12 shots and the firing pin fell out. Yeah, I know ... gripe, gripe gripe ... And then, EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT! "Don't make 'em like they used to?" EXACTLY! Not that they were that good then, either ... it's just for generations, men have been buying, shooting and DISCARDING all the junk guns! Only the GOOD ONES are left! Nobody saved the crap! What happened to my Luger? Who knows! Where's my hump-back 66? Who cares! But ones that work stay around - from father to son. (Or me to the pawnbroker.) Then, of course, they completely discontinue the model and you can't get it fixed - EVER, and new models are made and the cycle starts all over again! I just KNOW, one day, I'll walk into a pawn shop and in the back, dusty corner, I'll spy a like-new-in-the-box Colt .38 Shooting Master with an autographed picture of Charlie Askins and two $20 gold pieces stuck in the bottom of the box and the owner will come up to me and say, " Yeah, sure it's expensive. Everyone's got one of these that groups 1/4 inch at 200 yards and kicks like a crippled centipede - that's nothing new. But, now THIS one here's someting SPECIAL! It's a real piece of JUNK! It's the ONLY one ever made that won't group closer than a solar system and the cylinder usually explodes and will fly right up your nose! Not many like THIS one around, I can tell you that! And I'll probably write him a check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
rcw
I gotta tell ya, you have one of the most prolific imaginations I have ever seen. You must be a school teacher or a writer.


But keep up the banter, we need it here.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I'm keeping them for you and in my time of need, I'll let you know.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, ALL RIGHT, Jar! If I ever need 'em, I'll know where to look. (Just for being so nice, I'll give you first-turn-down-option on that Shooting Master, too!) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jar:
I'm keeping them for you and in my time of need, I'll let you know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw, garsh, Mr. Diamondback ... I bet you say that to all the guys ... Thanks, Dick. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:


rcw
I gotta tell ya, you have one of the most prolific imaginations I have ever seen. You must be a school teacher or a writer.


But keep up the banter, we need it here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
This procedure is a lot like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer..... it feels so good when it stops. What I mean is that even though you may have to buy some junk, eventually you will wind up with a specimen that will bring tears of joy to your eyes. And... the pain will have been worth it. I just bought an old 1907 vintage New Service in .45 LC with 7.5 inch barrel. The cylinder is just a tad loose, but the old gun is superbly accurate. Paid $240 for it and plan on keeping it forever. I've already forgotten the junk mod. 1917 that preceded it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Robert W., have you seen the cartoon where the, "poor soul," is sitting under a tree, splatered with bird-do, looking up into the tree and the caption reads, "For others, they SING!" My friend, I tell you no lie, I, too, looked at a vintage-and-a-half Colt New Service in .45 Long Colt with a 7.5" barrel this very afternoon! Honest. And I've ALWAYS wanted a NS, too! But here, the games begin ... headgames ala the Fred Sanford business ... Now, THIS one, was tagged $550. (Of COURSE!) The cylinder actually wabbled. The lanyard ring WAS good. The grips were like NEW, but they were medium brown checkered wood with a gold medalion - not the black hard rubber. But the finish looked like Dr. Mengele's do-it-yourself-possum-droppings-gun-blue. This thing was UGLY. And then, of course, the little angel on my right shoulder starts in, "Bob, you COULD get it reblued and worked on. It WOULD be a terrific prairie dog gun! If you'd ever have to point it at anyone, their whole area code would surrender en masse." Then, the left shoulder occupant interrupts: "Sure, and J. Edgar Hoover's gonna' take you to lunch! What are you gonna' carry it in - a grocery cart? A steamer trunk!? If ya' wanna' go sailing it might do for a pirate's boarding pistol. Get a cutlas and an eye-patch and you could be a sea-going Rooster Cogburn. It's gonna' shave lead out both sides like baloney through a slicer and the Colt factory will do a, "Mr. Phelps," on you and, "disavow any knowledge," of ever having seen it before." Aw, crap, Robert ... we both KNOW I'm gonna go back and buy the darn thing! QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert W. Simms:
This procedure is a lot like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer..... it feels so good when it stops. What I mean is that even though you may have to buy some junk, eventually you will wind up with a specimen that will bring tears of joy to your eyes. And... the pain will have been worth it. I just bought an old 1907 vintage New Service in .45 LC with 7.5 inch barrel. The cylinder is just a tad loose, but the old gun is superbly accurate. Paid $240 for it and plan on keeping it forever. I've already forgotten the junk mod. 1917 that preceded it. [/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
RCWAMBOLD:

The New Service is a great revolver and the .45 LC cartridge is superb as well.

I'm sure you already are aware of this but, just in case, remember that Colt's pre-war .45 LC guns used .454" groove dia. barrels. Post-War guns use .452" groove dia. barrels. I think all factory ammo currently available uses .451" or .452" bullets. I reload and have been using the same .452" 230 gr. FMJ bullets that I load in my 1911 because they're almost half the price of a 250 gr JHP. They do fine, but you have to seat the bullet a little deeper than a JHP to allow the cylinder to rotate. If you reload, try and find .452" bullets. I've been using Remingtons and they're .452". I think Hornady uses .452" bullets as well. Zero's bullets are .451" and I've noticed an accuracy decrease with them that I attribute to the smaller diameter.

I recommend jacketed bullets because, even though you can buy .454" cast bullets, if the cylinder is loose then they may (and probably will) shave lead. Cleaning the forcing cone is a major pain in this case.

If you can stand paying the $550 you will like the long-barreled New Service. Uncle Mike's has inexpensive flap holsters for 7.5-inch SAA's that fit the New Service wonderfully. Also, if you can find a dealer with NOS Pachmayr grips, they made a grip for the 1917 that fits any New Service. It will have "Colt Army" on the box and embossed in the grip. Hope this helps. Let us know how it shoots!
-Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert W., thank you for the reloading info! Presently, I don't reload - I got rid of my relaoding stuff years ago, but maybe Santa is listening!? I will keep your tips on hand. Thanks for being such a good sport, too! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert W. Simms:
RCWAMBOLD:

The New Service is a great revolver and the .45 LC cartridge is superb as well.

I'm sure you already are aware of this but, just in case, remember that Colt's pre-war .45 LC guns used .454" groove dia. barrels. Post-War guns use .452" groove dia. barrels. I think all factory ammo currently available uses .451" or .452" bullets. I reload and have been using the same .452" 230 gr. FMJ bullets that I load in my 1911 because they're almost half the price of a 250 gr JHP. They do fine, but you have to seat the bullet a little deeper than a JHP to allow the cylinder to rotate. If you reload, try and find .452" bullets. I've been using Remingtons and they're .452". I think Hornady uses .452" bullets as well. Zero's bullets are .451" and I've noticed an accuracy decrease with them that I attribute to the smaller diameter.

I recommend jacketed bullets because, even though you can buy .454" cast bullets, if the cylinder is loose then they may (and probably will) shave lead. Cleaning the forcing cone is a major pain in this case.

If you can stand paying the $550 you will like the long-barreled New Service. Uncle Mike's has inexpensive flap holsters for 7.5-inch SAA's that fit the New Service wonderfully. Also, if you can find a dealer with NOS Pachmayr grips, they made a grip for the 1917 that fits any New Service. It will have "Colt Army" on the box and embossed in the grip. Hope this helps. Let us know how it shoots!
-Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top