Colt Forum banner

The Henry repeating rifle?

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Wes Terner 
I have a Navy Arms Henry in 44-40 that my Child Bride surprised me with on Father's Day 30+ years ago.
I had found it in a LGS on consignment. Money was tight at the time (semi-new baby, new house) but I was telling her about how cool it was and in like-new condition, etc. We talked about it and a couple of days later she said "Go ahead and get it." I was the first guy in the store the next morning and the owner said it was sold yesterday, some guy came in, laid down cash for the rifle and a box of ammo and walked out with it. Oh well...
A few days later, I woke up on Father's Day and went in to start the coffee and there on the table was a long wrapped box labeled Father's Day. Thinking it was a gun case, I picked it up and it was extra heavy. Inside was my Henry!
She had bought the gun the day after I saw it and, along with the owner, come up with the "already sold" story. When I went back in to get ammo, everybody had a great laugh.

My wife did this exact thing to me during the first few years of our marriage. I found a Nighthawk Talon in a friends store that was something special for sure. I came home talking about it, likely a few evenings at the dinner table even. Finally she said just go get it if you want it that bad. Next day, I beelined over. It was gone and "someone came in yesterday and walked out with it". Sad face right up until about a week later at Christmas, the last box I opened sure was heavy......
I guess being married to a sneaky woman can be a double-edged sword. 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.