Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the excellent book "Dillinger, The Untold Story",co author and editor William H. Helmer really gets into the guns used by these gangsters. Reading the footnotes I found some Wolf & Klar guns ended up in their hands. It says even Machine Gun Kelly's Thompson was from W&K originally. No fault of W&K's. Helmer also wrote "The Gun That Made The 20's Roar" about the Thompson, of course. I hope that 2nd page is readable.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I love Wolf and Klar guns, they're so cheezy...I'd love to have one. I'm not surprised at the connection. Wolf & Klar had what everyone was looking for...they had one of the largest selections in country.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Interesting reading Matt...

Thanks for sharing.

I've heard of their underworld connections in the past...and noted that they even delivered to the hideout in a few cases.

Today...they would have been indicted for conspiracy and shutdown...

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was another thread recently about how people in the old days heard about what’s new in guns. Field & Stream is mentioned a lot in this book as material for the Dillinger gang, especially Baby Face Nelson. All the guys, especially Nelson, were really into guns and cars. Essential tools of their trade. They were on top of the new concept of high velocity and penetration (.38 Super) to the point that that caliber was requested for those full auto 1911s as mentioned in the book.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Fast V8's and High Powered Firearms...most stolen from police or National Guard armories

It was easy to keep way ahead of the local law with their old horses or Tin Lizzy's and their double barrel shotgun and old pistol.

Communications between locales was iffy too...most police / sheriff's had a party line crank telephone at best.

Most didn't chase the bandits, and if they did, the chase ended at the county / state line if they could keep up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts