Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in short this thing outsizes my super blackhawk by quite a bit I did shoot two rounds from it after work. It was very noticeable, felt like shooting two Buffalo bore 44 mag +p 340 grain loads at the same time.

I posted a few pictures for reference, the bfr weighs 4.6 pounds the ruger right at about 4.5 pounds. However the bfr is better balanced if I'm being honest.

Plus some bonus revolvers I have. There is two cap and ball a 1851 navy 1860 army replicas. A transtonial 1945-48 Smith M&P 38, 1967 colt diamondback. 1971 ruger super blackhawk, uberti gambler in 45 lc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
Too bad they're not double action for those quick double-taps or Mozambique drills!
Seriously, a rare gun in a rare caliber that will allow you great flexibility in hand loading. Some itches just must be scratched.

• Haha
Reactions: Fulliautomatix

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad they're not double action for those quick double-taps or Mozambique drills!
Seriously, a rare gun in a rare caliber that will allow you great flexibility in hand loading. Some itches just must be scratched.
Honestly this did scratch an itch I had, and I'm quite thrilled with it is highly impractical for my uses. But I fully intend on hand loading to get something very shootable.

Reactions: po18guy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big
Friggin'
Revolver

When that brick wall Absolutely, Positively must be destroyed before sundown...

Enjoy It...I know that feelin' !!

I shot my super blackhawlk with some Buffalo bore and underwood 340 grain hardcast today. Comparing that to the bfr the recoil impulse feels the same about. But the bfr jumps up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big
Friggin'
Revolver

When that brick wall Absolutely, Positively must be destroyed before sundown...

Enjoy It...I know that feelin' !!

Haven't mounted the irons yet trying to break the flinch on this thing. I'm 20 or so rounds ds into it and dry firing.

The muzzle flash is glorious by the way. Truly amazing just my old man has, labeled it the sasquatch cannon.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I stopped at the Freedom Arms in .454 Casull with full power loads. That and the S&W Scandium J-frame snub with Federal 125 grain JHP .357 Magnum rounds are my limits.

If the itch strikes though, one has to scratch!

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I remember correctly, the one I shot was a Thompson center arms encore break action pistol in .308 win.
Wasn't pleasant, won't do it again.

Never shot a .44 magnum (I want too though) and .375 is my favorite caliber for a handgun.

Where does .454 place on the list of massively magnum hand-howitzers?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I stopped at the Freedom Arms in .454 Casull with full power loads. That and the S&W Scandium J-frame snub with Federal 125 grain JHP .357 Magnum rounds are my limits.

If the itch strikes though, one has to scratch!
The bfr is actually not awful belive me or not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I remember correctly, the one I shot was a Thompson center arms encore break action pistol in .308 win.
Wasn't pleasant, won't do it again.

Never shot a .44 magnum (I want too though) and .375 is my favorite caliber for a handgun.

As far as 44 mag is concerned it's my happy medium, my favorite handgun caliber. It will do everything I want it to amd more depending on the load.

Reactions: Jonathan357

·
Registered
547 Posts
The .454 Casull in a SAA type of revolver is poorly suited to mitigate recoil with all the weight in the frame/cylinder and very little in the barrel. Muzzle flip during recoil is rather prominent.

The cartridge itself is running at over 60,000 psi, it generates about 75% more actual recoil than a .44 Magnum with full power loads, and requires small rifle primers to tolerate the pressures. S&W actually built their .460 cartridge off of it by lengthening the case, a la the .357 Magnum.

The handgun itself was a beautiful example of manufactured engineering and was clearly worth every penny.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The .454 Casull in a SAA type of revolver is poorly suited to mitigate recoil with all the weight in the frame/cylinder and very little in the barrel. Muzzle flip during recoil is rather prominent.

The cartridge itself is running at over 60,000 psi, it generates about 75% more actual recoil than a .44 Magnum with full power loads, and requires small rifle primers to tolerate the pressures. S&W actually built their .460 cartridge off of it by lengthening the case, a la the .357 Magnum.

The handgun itself was a beautiful example of manufactured engineering and was clearly worth every penny.
It's a hot little hand cannon for sure running at 65,000 max psi per the Saami spec. 500 S&W maxes out at 60k PSI most factory loads are well below the mac 60k psi though. the .475 and 500 linebaugh are well under those psi numbers. Either way a big bore hand gun is a big bore handgun and they pack punch, on the shooters end and on whatever they hit. my own fascination with hand cannons started after i got my 44 mag. I want as many oversized hand cannons as I can acquire.

Reactions: Swamp Yankee

·
Registered
174 Posts

Thank you for the very detailed response!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts