·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Awesome!

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the same gun and while the recoil is stout, it is not where you can't shoot it. I load mild for plinking with both jacketed and cast bullets. Article in this months GUNS magazine, by one of our members, suggested using 40/72 load data for mild loads. I get a kick ringing the gongs at the range with it when there is a crowd. That heavy bullet smacking the steel really rings. Between the boom of the gun and the ringing steel it will stop the plastic gunners for a few moments of "what is he shooting". One gun that will not be let go for a long time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With the same flat steel shotgun butt plate, my M95 wears my shoulder out and it's only in 30-06. I found a girly-man slip-on rubber pad which made my range visits a lot more pleasant. Reloading a bit lighter as Longhunter mentioned might be the way to go for just plinking and pretty much an economic necessity--given the cost and sometimes scarcity of .405. Anyway, great looking shoulder cannon--er I mean "big medicine" gun.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I have two originals, 30-40 and 30-06. If I could find an original in 405 that I could afford, I'd buy one. The thing about the 95's is, due to the design, the actions are clunkity-clunk compared to other Winchesters, even the 1894, which I think has a clunky action and it (the 95) makes a very distinct sound when you lever them. But I like the gun. How is the action on the new(er) ones?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. Make sure you keep all of the larger bears and such under control down in Florida. I'm considering installing a red, traditional looking pad on my Browning 95. Have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the same flat steel shotgun butt plate, my M95 wears my shoulder out and it's only in 30-06. I found a girly-man slip-on rubber pad which made my range visits a lot more pleasant. Reloading a bit lighter as Longhunter mentioned might be the way to go for just plinking and pretty much an economic necessity--given the cost and sometimes scarcity of .405. Anyway, great looking shoulder cannon--er I mean "big medicine" gun.

Cheers
The cost, when you can find the ammo, is pretty crazy. The seller had a case of Hornady her husband bought with the rifle. I acquired two boxes at the "bargain" price of $65 each.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have two originals, 30-40 and 30-06. If I could find an original in 405 that I could afford, I'd buy one. The thing about the 95's is, due to the design, the actions are clunkity-clunk compared to other Winchesters, even the 1894, which I think has a clunky action and it (the 95) makes a very distinct sound when you lever them. But I like the gun. How is the action on the new(er) ones?
I've never handled an original, but the action on this gun seems to be very smooth.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always wanted one. Almost got a gun shop carbine in .30 USG years ago in El Paso. But it seemed a little high, $600 if I recall! Shoulda-coulda....
Winchester is going to release another run of '95s at the end of 2019/beginning of 2020. They're solid-frame models in .405 and 30-06. Shooting Times recently did a review. I confirmed the dates with a product manager at Winchester.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Didn't Teddy Roosevelt hunt with a 405 model 95?
He took several m1895's with him on his African safari in 1909, most in .405 Win and I thought one was in 30-06, but according to this article from American Rifleman, it was chambered in 30-03 which was the short-lived problematic cartridge developed for the Army to replace the 30-40 Krag, but due to its problems was quickly superseded by the 30-06.cal.

This is a fairly interesting article about Roosevelt and his favorite Winchesters

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/6/2/theodore-roosevelt-s-winchester-rifles/

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He took several m1895's with him on his African safari in 1909, most in .405 Win and I thought one was in 30-06, but according to this article from American Rifleman, it was chambered in 30-03 which was the short-lived problematic cartridge developed for the Army to replace the 30-40 Krag, but due to its problems was quickly superseded by the 30-06.cal.

This is a fairly interesting article about Roosevelt and his favorite Winchesters

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/6/2/theodore-roosevelt-s-winchester-rifles/

Cheers

Here is another interesting article about TR's safari guns. He also brought a 30-06 Springfield, which he referred to as the "little Springfield."

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/405-winchester/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very Nice! I have one of the more recent 1885 Sporters in 405 Win. CDNN had a closeout on them a couple years ago and I couldn't resist. Now I'm thinking I need one of these to go with it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Don't know how many watch "The Last Alaskans", but one of the guys on there shoots a well worn Model 1895 Winchester in .35 WCF.
I've only watched the show once or twice...but if he's shooting a 35WCF, he's either not shooting much, reloading his own or has more money than it appears. Factory ammo was discontinued in 1936 and as far as I can find, Buffalo Arms is the only place carrying it regularly. Redding has dies and necked up 30-40 Krag brass can be used.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts