Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Here is mine to start things out:

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.
Hartley & Graham "New York" engraved, and they likely added the pearl grips. Has "44 C.F." on TG. Factory letter notes 44-40, 7-1/2", Rub, (No mention of engraving, and finish also strangely not listed), and Shipped to Hartley & Graham, NYC on 3-30-1882, 17 Guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts

Cam.
Absolute WOW -- a real beauty!!! Is this original or has it been restored??????

Randy

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's original & thanks.
I have a 1934 Colt Woodsman in this condition that people ask me "why don't you shoot it" -- this is exactly why! To see an original as-manufactured example of what a classic model Colt is like just adds another piece to our education cycle.

These beauties need to be preserved, and I am really impressed that a firearm outside a museum from the 1880's is still in this condition. I know it is not easy to find them like this, nor cheap to acquire, but it is sure satisfying to see them in the possession of someone who appreciates them for what they are.

Randy

·
Premium Member
576 Posts

Cam.
Those stocks are the first thing I noticed when I looked at that gun, and they are simply gorgeous. Just look at the grain right above the lanyard ring. It's so ironic to me that back then they weren't seen as anything really special. What a shame manufacturers no longer do work like that on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Those stocks are the first thing I noticed when I looked at that gun, and they are simply gorgeous. Just look at the grain right above the lanyard ring. It's so ironic to me that back then they weren't seen as anything really special. What a shame manufacturers no longer do work like that on a regular basis.
I checked my data sheets several months ago on this revolver and its fancy grips. As I recall, checkered wood remained standard through 1882, and after that Colt went to hard rubber. The same thing happened with the Colt M1877 DA, but the change to 2-piece hard rubber came quicker. The making of these grips for a standard production Colt was time and labor intensive. But they sure were pretty!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Here is one of my 1878's shipped july 1894 45 Colt 7 1/2' barrel. Interesting that the cylinder number is off one digit. Shipped as a shipment of one so unlikely that cylinders got switched.
1878 colt 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Cam.
Here is an interesting "Sheriff's Model". Colt ran out of special frames made for without-ejector assemblies. So a frame was placed in a milling machine, and the right side bolster for the ejector housing was milled away. That left a smaller cut on the right side for the ejector rod to pass thru - so a 3/8" end mill was used on both sides to remove that cut. This created a symmetrical frame when viewed from the front. We used to call this a "Scalloped Frame". And so it looked like "factory" work!

This Sheriff's Model" also displays some other special features.
1. The rolled CFSS is condensed so as to fit a 3-1/2" barrel.
2. It has a lanyard ring (not often seen on Sheriff's Models.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Here is an interesting "Sheriff's Model". Colt ran out of special frames made for without-ejector assemblies. So a frame was placed in a milling machine, and the right side bolster for the ejector housing was milled away. That left a smaller cut on the right side for the ejector rod to pass thru - so a 3/8" end mill was used on both sides to remove that cut. This created a symmetrical frame when viewed from the front. We used to call this a "Scalloped Frame". And so it looked like "factory" work!

This Sheriff's Model" also displays some other special features.
1. The rolled CFSS is condensed so as to fit a 3-1/2" barrel.
2. It has a lanyard ring (not often seen on Sheriff's Models.
The serial# indicates early 1890's production??
Nice gun

1 - 20 of 80 Posts