Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I notice that the 1878 opening this thread and presented by TheColtGuy looks to be an early model from the 1st type.
The differences between 1st and 2nd type are in the internal parts, but we can see it near the loading gate axis.

After 2 or 3 years from the begining of production, the little pawl protruding under the cylinder pin hole was replaced by a tooth on the loading gate which engages the rachet to prevent the cylinder from rotating counterclockwise while releasing the trigger.
I made a little video to demonstrate it here :

I know that most of you guys are real collectors, more interested in historical references than internal mechanical parts... sorry if my post is out of subject.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Here is mine to start things out:

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.
On page 251 of Wilkerson’s Colt Model 1878 book is some discussion of shipments that were ultimately going to Canada. It appears that Hartley &Graham was serving as an agent for the Canadian Militia & Defense. During 1885 Canada purchased 1001 Colt M1878’s in 45 Caliber, with 7-1/2” barrels, nickel plated, and rubber grips. Many of these revolvers are found with “M D” stamped on the left front of frame, along with an issue number.

A factory letter on the pictured gun confirms 45/c, 7-1/2", Nickel, Rub, Nothing About Topstrap Inscription, and Shipped to Hartley & Graham, NYC, 165 Guns, on 4-18-1885. (Note: My Colt letter may have a minor error, as it reads 165 guns, not 105 guns, in shipment). See the Wilkerson page below.

It appears that this example was used two years later as some kind of “Officer’s Prize”.

It is hoped that some of our Canadian friends can explain the meaning of the inscription on the topstrap of this revolver. Was "D. A. A." the initials of the officer who received this prize, or something else? Was "64 Pr." a regiment?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.
I bought this gun in year 2002, and have done some research on the original owner. The gun letters out as it appears here, but with some slight modifications. In Don Wilkerson's book on the M1878 DA, he said that records show only one of this model as 45/c, Nickel, 7-1/2" barrel, and Carved Ivory grips. So this must be it.

The factory letter is interesting, revealing more than usual. It notes Shipped to Lee, Clarke, Anderson Hardware Co., Omaha, Nebraska "For E. R. Thayer" 45/c, 7-1/2", Nic, Ivory with Carved Ox Head Motif, Apr 13, 1893, 1 Gun.

I suspect that the original owner added a punch-dot fancy "T", which may have been his cattle brand. He may have also added the same to both grips, incised and filled in black. Also someone either changed or replaced the gate thumb screw with a brass pocket watch stem. I've never seen that done before. A neatly-done job, and maybe an improvement to the owner's way of thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I bought this gun in year 2002, and have done some research on the original owner. The gun letters out as it appears here, but with some slight modifications. In Don Wilkerson's book on the M1878 DA, he said that records show only one of this model as 45/c, Nickel, 7-1/2" barrel, and Carved Ivory grips. So this must be it.

The factory letter is interesting, revealing more than usual. It notes Shipped to Lee, Clarke, Anderson Hardware Co., Omaha, Nebraska "For E. R. Thayer" 45/c, 7-1/2", Nic, Ivory with Carved Ox Head Motif, Apr 13, 1893, 1 Gun.

I suspect that the original owner added a punch-dot fancy "T", which may have been his cattle brand. He may have also added the same to both grips, incised and filled in black. Also someone either changed or replaced the gate thumb screw with a brass pocket watch stem. I've never seen that done before. A neatly-done job, and maybe an improvement to the owner's way of thinking.
OK, You may have been left hanging. Who was E. R. Thayer?

Attached is a copy of the 1883-84 Cheyenne Directory, Stock Growers Association. E. R. Thayer is listed on page 126., and noted as Greeley, Colo. A quick timeline follows:

1876- Eugene R. Thayer moved to Colorado and became a Cattleman.

June 1880 Census - Eugene R. Thayer (age 28) “Stock Grower” at Greeley, CO.

August 20, 1896 - Greeley Tribune newspaper “E. R. Thayer and son Harry returned to Greeley Monday after a six weeks’ visit to their ranch on the north fork of the Poudre (River).

Apr 8, 1918 - Eugene Richards Thayer died in Greeley, Weld County, Colorado.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

Cam.
An example of guns ordered for the Atlanta Police. This one has matching serial numbers on the cylinder, trigger guard, and penciled inside the grips. The gate assembly number matches under the grips. The trigger guard is also stamped "44 Cal" along with the rolled CFSS on the barrel.

Buying new arms for the Atlanta Police probably began with a large order for Winchester M1873 rifles in 44-40 in 1889. These had sling swivels attached, and were engraved on the left sideplates “Atlanta Police / (Issue No.)”. Next would come orders for 44-40 revolvers.

There were three orders placed for these revolvers, with the first on March 5, 1889 (in Nickel Finish), and the last on Dec 4, 1891 (presumed to be Blued). Total number of M1878’s ordered by Atlanta Police was 90.

I wonder how many of our other Colt Forum members have examples of this Atlanta Police M1878 DA? Pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Jim
All your guns have "Personality"
Great collection!
I seem to recall that you have some

Cam.
Here is a scarce 41 Long Colt caliber M1878. Most of these seem to be in the higher serial range (1900 +/- 2 years), as is the case here. A few years ago, I owned another 41 x 5-1/2" that went to E. K. Tryon in 1899. I am still looking for location information on F. F. Marble & Company. The serial number 41106 matches on the rear of cylinder, with 106 stamped there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

Cam.
Here is an interesting early M1878 with a factory inscription. This #1745 has what some call the "Fat Grip" frame. This one was found in a Longview, TX pawn shop in the 1980's. Factory letter confirms 45, 7-1/2", Blue, Rubber, Marked "P. E. B." & Shipped to J. E. Roberts (Address Unknown) on 2-5-1879, 1 Gun.

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
An example of guns ordered for the Atlanta Police. This one has matching serial numbers on the cylinder, trigger guard, and penciled inside the grips. The gate assembly number matches under the grips. The trigger guard is also stamped "44 Cal" along with the rolled CFSS on the barrel.

Buying new arms for the Atlanta Police probably began with a large order for Winchester M1873 rifles in 44-40 in 1889. These had sling swivels attached, and were engraved on the left sideplates “Atlanta Police / (Issue No.)”. Next would come orders for 44-40 revolvers.

There were three orders placed for these revolvers, with the first on March 5, 1889 (in Nickel Finish), and the last on Dec 4, 1891 (presumed to be Blued). Total number of M1878’s ordered by Atlanta Police was 90.

I wonder how many of our other Colt Forum members have examples of this Atlanta Police M1878 DA? Pictures?
I would really like to obtain one of these. I keep looking but to no avail. I am doing a large display next year and one of these would fit perfectly.

Cam.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts