Colt Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
poudreverte, Thanks you for taking the time to post the two different grip size information. It certainly helps a beginning 1878 collector like me. I see that the size difference is slight and would take a trained eye to spot it.

Much appreciated,

Cam.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Here is a comparison between large & small grips :

View attachment 740439

(the difference is not obvious at first sight)
View attachment 740436
This is a small grip installed on a large frame :
View attachment 740437

I think the modification occured within the first 2 years of production.
Very well done, this grip size presentation! Can you also provide the width of both sizes of grips, from the front to the backstrap? Like measure thru the grip screw area. The length is the same for both grips, as you have shown.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Here is mine to start things out:

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.
Here is a gun that surely is factory engraved, if I can just motivate the Colt Archives to look further for this serial number. "W. Sutten" also engraved on backstrap. Letters 45/c, 5-1/2", Nic, Rub & Shipped to Simmons Hdwe Co., St. Louis, MO on 2-21-1882, 5 Guns.

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Here is a gun that surely is factory engraved, if I can just motivate the Colt Archives to look further for this serial number. "W. Sutten" also engraved on backstrap. Letters 45/c, 5-1/2", Nic, Rub & Shipped to Simmons Hdwe Co., St. Louis, MO on 2-21-1882, 5 Guns.
It sure looks like factory engraving to me. That is a terrific 1878. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
It sure looks like factory engraving to me. That is a terrific 1878. Thanks for sharing.
thecoltguy, Yes it doesn't make sense to me that a gun would go to Simmons Hdwe, with their intent to have it engraved. If it was Hartley & Graham, then that is a different matter, as their office was in what I call the "Centroid of Engraving" at NYC. For many years most engravers and engraving supplies were in NYC. St. Louis had some engravers, but they were die sinkers, not gun engravers. Same situation existed in New Orleans, Cincinnati, Denver, San Antonio, and San Francisco.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Let's see how much interest there is in the Model 1878. If we get enough interest maybe it can be moved over to a Sticky! Post pictures of yours and lets see where this goes. There is a section for the Model 1877 so maybe we can get one going for the 1878.

Made in 1881 it has the 5 1/2" barrel, checkered walnut stocks and is the New Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40)

Cam.
This one is different, in that one of those government inspected overrun frames was used for a commercial gun. Note the frame inspector’s initials “R.A.C.” for Rinaldo A. Carr. Additional overrun parts from this large government order were also likely used on this 38-40, SN 48988. A partial SN 988 is found on the rear cylinder surface, and also on the TG as hidden under the frame. The gate assembly #6994 is normally found on the left grip frame under the grips near the butt. However, no number was ever applied to this machined and blued surface, possibly an indication that the gate came from overrun U.S. parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

Cam.
This is another high-numbered M1878, as only 51210 were manufactured. Only 970 (almost 2% of the 51,210) of this model were made in 32-20 during production 1878 to 1905. A total of 261 of the 32-20’s were blued with 7-1/2” barrels. The serial number 50384 appears on butt with matching 384 on trigger guard under the frame. Although oddly matching the serial number, the gate #84 is actually an assembly number that is also found on grip frame under the grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Very rare civilian and military 1878's. "Omnipotent" marked civilian model. According to Wilkerson, only about 61 were "Omnipotent" marked with a blue finish. The 3 shipped to the military were a group of only 51 ever produced. They are the only military shipped Colt's that do not have military inspector markings. No J.T.T. or 1902 markings. A small U.S. instead of the larger one. Note that two are consecutive numbered. Only 7 are known to exist today. If anyone has another, please let me know.

omni 5.JPG
omni3.jpg
51000-2.JPG
51000.JPG
51071 letter.jpg
51074.jpg
51075.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Very rare civilian and military 1878's. "Omnipotent" marked civilian model. According to Wilkerson, only about 61 were "Omnipotent" marked with a blue finish. The 3 shipped to the military were a group of only 51 ever produced. They are the only military shipped Colt's that do not have military inspector markings. No J.T.T. or 1902 markings. A small U.S. instead of the larger one. Note that two are consecutive numbered. Only 7 are known to exist today. If anyone has another, please let me know.
WOW, what a collection! Congratulations on some great examples of this model.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts

View attachment 741232 View attachment 741233 View attachment 741234 View attachment 741235 View attachment 741236 View attachment 741237 View attachment 741238
Any story behind the 'omnipotent' marking? I'm genuinely fascinated by that and am curious as to what it means and why. Was it just a marketing run done by the shop selling them? Your chance to have a cool gun with 'omnipotent' on the barrel, similar to how someone might put 'judge, jury, and executioner' on a modern pistol? If so, then it goes to show we really haven't changed a lot in 150 years.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts