·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Love it...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a classic in the making here. I'm gonna wear a grin for days over this one. I emailed the seller and thanked him for the entertainment!

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
I'm pitiful. I had to go look to see if he did or didn't spell it correctly after I posted that.
That seller isn't as crafty as the one I posted on this evening... that seller just took the label off the box and said Colt didn't put the peacemaker 22 labels on the boxes in 1973 !

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I actually know this guy. He lives about 45 minutes from me. I bought a few Colts off of him one time and have seen him around/talked to him a few times since then. He is a good guy for the most part as far as I know. I will tell you he doesnt know the difference between alot of factory original stuff like grips and labels/boxes and repops. The one time I bought those off of him, he pulled out some he had gotten from not so honest GB sellers (one in particular) that had fake labels and picture boxes with label pulled off and info hand wrote in underneath in the blank space underneath which has model/Caliber/finish and so on. He thought they were original and when I pointed out a few differences, he started to get irritated so I dropped it and got the ones I wanted/thought were the better buys. I know we could pick his auctions apart as far as grips and so on, but please dont be too mean lol. I assure you he doesnt know the difference and this is the first time I have ever saw him selling any. I do know he dropped some serious money on these guns.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My experience is that often times people who earn all or part of a living selling guns don't know as much as the collectors and frequently they don't care about the details. They have so many brands and types to deal with that the profit motive takes over. We do see some collector/sellers who know a great deal but how many times do you go into a gun shop and leave just wondering how in the world did they come to that conclusion? This can work for or against an informed collector who would know a deal when seen, and this is how good deals develop.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually know this guy. He lives about 45 minutes from me. I bought a few Colts off of him one time and have seen him around/talked to him a few times since then. He is a good guy for the most part as far as I know. I will tell you he doesnt know the difference between alot of factory original stuff like grips and labels/boxes and repops. The one time I bought those off of him, he pulled out some he had gotten from not so honest GB sellers (one in particular) that had fake labels and picture boxes with label pulled off and info hand wrote in underneath in the blank space underneath which has model/Caliber/finish and so on. He thought they were original and when I pointed out a few differences, he started to get irritated so I dropped it and got the ones I wanted/thought were the better buys. I know we could pick his auctions apart as far as grips and so on, but please dont be too mean lol. I assure you he doesnt know the difference and this is the first time I have ever saw him selling any. I do know he dropped some serious money on these guns.
Hey B.G.,

I completely get it that some people don't get it. In this case, his lack of knowledge about what he is selling may possibly affect the next buyer that comes along who also has a lack of knowledge and purchases this thing. Imagine the new buyers regret when (X) amount of time after he has made the purchase realizes he purchased basically a Elite with No box for $3700!

I guess the responsibility lies on the purchaser but if you are going to play the game of dealer (I've watched him purchase all of these guns) and flip at a later date, learn something about what you are doing!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Lousy photos, bogus label, wrong stocks: that is the type of ad I do not bother to scrutinize.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
+1 me on what Porche said. I also think some dealers have to do and know so much that they almost cant take the time to research and verify. Like also pointed out, they can get burned on a trade in and not even realize.. thus passing it along to another unknowledged buyer. Unfortunately for all parties, if it happens too many times or to the right people, it can end up hurting reputations. I watched my LGS take in a diamondback and of course he couldn't turn it down. I think he paid too much because for the price, I thought it should have the original grips, instead of some later model Colt grips on it. All he had time to do was glance through a book or the guy was walking. Fortunately for me, I had another few days to ask about it on the Colt Forum. I let him know about the grips and I passed for his asking price. He still got more for the gun than he was asking from me. I'm sure a guy came along and saw "Diamondback" in 95% shape and the grips never were thought about. If it gets advertised enough though, someone is gonna say hold on, what about those grips? Those are mid-70's grips on a 1968 gun. Nobody knows who changed them or when it was done.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I agree 100% with everything you said Keystone. Some, unfortunately, are just not capable of learning the difference... I agree when you start selling on GB, you are entering a new world and need to know what you are selling.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
This is just another example of why I accumulate guns I can shoot and not concern myself about the investment aspect. While I know I could sell any of my Colts for more than I paid (some immediately, some in a bit :) ) I'm not a NIB guy as I'm admittedly not knowledgeable enough at this time to feel comfortable expending a huge sum of money for a NIB w/all the goodies Colt unless it came directly from the factory. This saves me a lot of angst and I do so love to fire off a few boxes of ammo on anything I feel needs the workout or me the stress relief.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts