Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello boys,
I decided to take the camera back to revisit Baldy.
My Bald Eagle buddy.
I found Ms Baldy (I'm guessing) today on the lookout for bothersome Colt Collectors... Heh heh he
Here's what she looks like.
Maybe I'll get lucky and get a family portrait before the babies fly the coup.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did notice it was a little greener and tougher to get a good shot at her.
Here's the old shot of the Pappa for reference.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Hopefully you're taking pictures with a telephoto lens. That might give you a headstart should she decide she doesn't really care for your attentions so much. She doesn't look that..."happy". thanks of the photos, needless o say would be great to see the little ones if a safe chance arises.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
The dark colored eagle is a juvenile or sub adult bold eagle.
I was thinking the same thing. I believe the Male and Female have the white head coloring. I'm not positive though. On another note, there is a nesting pair of Bald Eagles here in Cook County IL - The first in many-many years. It even made the news. Thanks for the great pictures Jeff, but do be careful, Momma Eagle will protect the young-uns with a vengence !!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I saw a gun once with a bald eagle on it......There, we are now back on topic.....you are welcome....

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She (or baby) didn't like me getting too close and bailed out.
Here's also a nest shot. It's a giant nest, way up in a huge old tree.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
131 Posts
eagles take several years to reach maturity. first and second year old eagles are black. Sub adult eagles start to show adult plumage and lemon yellow beak, cere the fleshy part behind the beak and feet. I am a master falconer and have studied raptor for 13 years.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Great shots Jeff! Looking at the beak I first thought this to be a juvenile Golden Eagle. Lack of yellow pigment seemed to show that but I'll defer to RJL60's expertise. Were you able to determine if she was banded llike Baldy? :cool:

·
Administrator
7,115 Posts
Beautiful shots !

OT , sorry .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.