Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From limited sources I have ascertained that at the tail-end of the Army Special production, from 1926-27, the NYPD authorized the .38 Army Special for duty use. This was most likely the blue steel Army Special with a four-inch barrel.

As most of the members/readers know, in 1928 the Army Special name was dropped for the new name of Official Police.

A limited number of NYPD Army Specials would have been evident because of the short production time frame from when the NYPD authorized it (1926) until the name change to OP in 1928.

Can any of the fine Colt History Buffs here elaborate on the NYPD .38 Army Special?

I have not picked up on "any" NYPD Army Specials that belong to any of the forum members nor have I spotted any on display in my very modest resource material or the internet. My thanks in advance my friends!

David

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I believe I have one, but according to Proofhouse, it was made in 1924.

It differs from similar vintage Army Specials in that it has a 1/8' wide front sight, and the rear sight is square cut across the frame, unlike the "dished" contour typical of the Army Special. It is also unlike the later Official Police rear sight, which has the curved flat area behind the sight notch.

On the butt, there is a hand stamped number, 7440, which I believe was the shield number of the officer who carried it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold the phone! Just checked out forum here and found that on 2-21-11 cda926 had a nice post on NYPD Army Special Revolvers with some info. Can anyone expand on his good post?
David

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
"tail-end of the Army Special production, from 1926-27"

Actually Colt continued making the Army Special up to at least 1936. Not left overs, but new production guns. This is documented by many examples now posted and discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CJS57;

I did not know that the Army Special had carried on up to 1936. Was that in limited numbers? I'm sorry that I missed those previous posts on the post-1927 Army Specials. That is really interesting for me to learn of this. Thanks for sharing!

David

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I thought Bloomberg banned guns in NYC. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts