Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call it that because it appears to be a .22 Magnum with an extra .22 cylinder instead of the other way around. I think this is from around 1961. It has the early grip frame and what I thought were revarnished grips. but I've seen other original Rugers with grips like this. You can't see the color in the picture. This gun is well used but has served me well for over forty years. When I was a kid I pretended it was my Matt Dillon gun because of the 6 1/2" barrel. My other one is 5 1/2". This gun has an unbelievable action.

Here's my other one with the Hunter holster my dad bought me at the flea market. He made the belt fit me and made a completey new laced metal lined holster to screw on in place of the battered original. I wore this constantly on camping and catfishing trips. Jay Scott mother of plastic grips finished it off.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Wyatt, I bought a convertable single six in 6 1/2" exactly like it in early 1961. Why do you say "Reverse?" Thats exactly how they came. Mine was my first good revolver. Long story, but it was stolen many years ago. About 10 years ago I replaced it with this very early round gate .22 lr in 5 1/2". If it was even fired I couldnt see any signs of it when I bought it used. I think this one is from 1958 or 1959. I need a holster for it. Only shot it a couple times.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wyatt, I bought a convertable single six in 6 1/2" exactly like it in early 1961. Why do you say "Reverse?" Thats exactly how they came. Mine was my first good revolver. Long story, but it was stolen many years ago. About 10 years ago I replaced it with this very early round gate .22 lr in 5 1/2". If it was even fired I couldnt see any signs of it when I bought it used. I think this one is from 1958 or 1959. I need a holster for it. Only shot it a couple times.

I just made up that reverse stuff because I think??? convertable rugers were usually .22 long rifle marked, but came with a .22 mag cylinder. This one says .22 mag. on the side, but is a convertable. I might be talking about a very common gun, but don't know. Your's is between the flat gate and the wood grip versions, seems like. and an earlier gun than mine.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am not positive but I think mine was labeled .22 wmrf, could be wrong. Now I have read that the old .22 lrs were more accurate than the later versions that were convertables as they just went to .224 bore instead of staying with the .223 (or were they .222 bore) for just L.R. I still have the old box, I may dig it out.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I know very little about the Rugers and how they may have mixed the 22lr/22 mag bores and cylinders, but I suspect all the Ruger dual cylinder guns had 22 mag barrels with the slightly larger bore diameter. S&W would not fit a 22 mag cylinder to a gun that was manufactured as a 22lr, but would fit a 22lr cylinder to the 22 mag revolvers with the slightly larger bore. Perhaps a tad too cautious, but in recent years, lawyers seem to win out over the engineering dept....:) I never did slug a rimfire barrel, and since there was so little difference in bore diameter, often wondered if manufacturing tolerances might allow them to sometimes be nearly identical. It was once a popular thing to ream numerous old 22lr single shot bolt action, rifle chambers to 22 mag and I never knew of anyone having any problems. I knew one old timer who even made his own 22mag reamer from a standard twist drill bit, and it worked, but he wasn't exactly the kind of "gunsmith" you wanted working on your prized Colts....:)

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Well I believe after serial number 150xxx Ruger went to the mag sized barrel on all Single Sixes....that is also when the convertibles started showing up....

The 6 1/2 inch RSSM were Magnum marked and were in their own serial range of 300xxx....later they stopped marking them with the MAGNUM and just used the same rollmark as all the other RSS's....RR.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Here is mine although mine is not as vintage. But, it is a great shooter, and we have loads of fun with it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure when the Magnum-marked RSSM's started having extra cylinders in .22 LR, but most didn't and I SUSPECT that your extra cylinder was added by an owner aftermarket. Guys over on RugerForum.com could probably "tell all"!

It's very easy to add a cylinder to most Single Sixes. I have a Bisley Single Six that came from the factory originally with only the LR cylinder. Since I'm a great .22 WRM user, I wanted both cylinders. Found a brand new one reasonable on Ruger Forum Classifieds and expected to have to do some fitting. But it just dropped in and was as accurate as the original LR cylinder--I've never taken it off the gun since except to clean it.

Since the .22 LR has a hollow base, it "slugs up" to fit the (very) slightly larger .22 WRM bore very nicely. Once Ruger figured that out, they just made all their .22 revolvers with the .224 bore. Cheaper, less confusing, and works fine.

Love the Single Six and use a couple. But the New Frontier .22 is SO much prettier....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts