Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A pre war revolver that is one of my favorites is the Police Positive Target. It does not get much attention and many collectors may just walk past them at the gun shows but if you have time to really study them you will see just how fine this little target gun really is. I began collecting them many years ago and tried to pick up every variation that I came upon. Here are a few and unusual ones that I have found over the years. Please add a picture of any that you may have.

I have only seen two that had the nickel finish. This one is chambered in .32 Police Ctg.

This is another in nickel but chambered in .22:

This one is on the larger 2nd model frame and chambered in .22 Wrf.

This is an early frame in .22 Wrf. that the buyer ordered with all of the extra's. It includes the checkered front and back strap, ivory bead sight and fancy checkered walnut stocks:

And last but not lease is one that I wished that I owned but don't. It has an extra long barrel, ivory stocks and was engraved by Kornbrath.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
What fine examples, I look at the Police Positive all the time. I want one and when I find a nice one, I will get it. I am sure it will not be as fine as yours though.

·
Administrator
7,292 Posts
Thanks for the history Cam . Beautiful finds as always !

I noticed the ship date on the 1914 .32 nickel was 1927 .

Also a 10 yr ship gap on the .22 nickel .

Am I misreading the serial tables or was this due to the unpopularity at the time in using nickel on a target gun ? Just curious .

Thanks

Reactions: ei8ht

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the history Cam . Beautiful finds as always !

I noticed the ship date on the 1914 .32 nickel was 1927 .

Also a 10 yr ship gap on the .22 nickel .

Am I misreading the serial tables or was this due to the unpopularity at the time in using nickel on a target gun ? Just curious .

Thanks
Mitch. The .22 nickel was shipped in May of 1925 and the .32 nickel was shipped in February of 1927 which shows a two year gap. Of course each had a different serialization sequence thus the wide spread in the serial numbers. It's interesting to note that the .32 was shipped to the George Worthington Company in Cleveland, Ohio. This company was a supplier of industrial tools up to 1991 and I used to make sales calls there when I had my tool companies in Michigan.

·
Administrator
7,292 Posts
I didn't word my post well . I was looking at the proofhouse serial dates of mfg and it showed these being made 10+ years before being shipped . Maybe I am reading it wrong .

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Beauties, the nickel ones. Mine, I had a rusty wreck back in the 1930s & always wanted a nice one. Like several guns in my collection, this one I saved from its way to oblivion by repair the right grip & a liner in its badly neglected bore.

Dates from 1924, year I was born. Now back to respectability, I like it all the more due my DIY involvement ---->

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't word my post well . I was looking at the proofhouse serial dates of mfg and it showed these being made 10+ years before being shipped . Maybe I am reading it wrong .
Mitch. I see what you mean and you are correct. The serial number on the .22 dates it to 1915 and the .32 dates to 1914. This just proves that frames sat on the shelf for ten years before being used. I have seen this a lot and it seems to point to the fact that Colt did not care about the order in which they shipped their inventory.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I recently purchased one of "the colt guy"' culled Police Positive Target in 22lr. It sure is a cute little gun to shoot and I'm glad to see the fine examples of others. Mine is a C model and I put it up against the other brands J frame target model. Fun Fun Fun.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cam, thanks for the thread, pics and info. I have a .22 WRF, .22 LR and a .32. I think they are about the cutest little revolvers ever!
Nice set. How about some pictures? Which frames are they? Small frame early model or large frame late model?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have one in .22 but can't find a picture. Here is another in .22 WRF.

A note about yours. Unless my old eyes are fooling me you have a real collector piece there. It looks to be a 2nd model that has the large frame, probably serialized around the 30,000 range, and that alone makes it quite collectible since the .22 Wrf. was not being produced in any great numbers in that time period. That caliber was being phased out when the larger frame was introduced because of poor sales. What makes your gun really collectible is the small grip frame. When Colt came out with the 2nd model with the larger frame they also increased the grip size but did build a small number of each caliber with the smaller grip frame. I marvel at the length that Colt went to please there customers in the pre war era. To think that they forged a separate frame size to satisfy a small number of customers is just amazing. In todays market the bean counters would never let that happen as it would not be cost effective.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts