Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Released their periodical magazine "The Compklete Book Of The Model 1911" "The Custom Edition", although not complete in my estimation, it was informative.
DISCLAIMER: You don't have to agree with everything that is said, I don't, but the pictures were pretty.

One of the first sections deals with Turnbull restoring COLT WWI 1911's. Believe it not, I was impressed that Turnbulls President, Keith VanOrman doesn't believe in restoring everything that is sent to them. Furthermore, Turnbulls has the capacity to remake, restamp, every single part of the Original 1911, right down to the smallest detail and inspection stamps.

Some of the details even go to the difference in lines per inch on checkering for the different makers, Colt, Remington, et al. They have ALL the ORIGINAL roll stamps from all the manufactures, Colt's too.

There are 9 different front sights for the 1911 and 1911A1 (military and commercial models), and within those types there are four variation of the Type 8.

I won't reprint the whole article, but if you love the 1911 and their variants, including clones, you should read the Magazine and perhaps get a copy for future references. It sells for $8.99 , US and Canada and I found it useful while waiting for the coffee to brew.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good read, I'll pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keith Van Orman, a really good guy left Turnbull about a year ago at about the time they were preparing the article. I think Bob Chipman who was with H&R and Marlin took his place. I think one of their goals is to develop and trade mark their own line of Colt-style single actions and Winchester-style rifles.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Turnbul's COLT WWI 1911's

I know that their restoration techniques are improving beyond belief ....
you throw enough money at something and Americans can achieve anything!

so, that being said; Buyer Beware!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts