Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Diamondback has it's serial number in the following places:
On the frame, just below the barrel. Open the cylinder to see it.

On the cylinder crane. Again open the cylinder to see the number.

Inside the revolver's side plate. This would require removing the side plate.

Here is a link to a Colt serial number listing up to 1978: http://proofhouse.com/colt/

For number from 1978 to 1985, we can tell you those.

Although I've never seen a counterfeit Diamondback, it may be possible there have been some attempted.

Usually such a phony would be instantly recognizable as such, so I would't worry too much about that.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I don't recall ever mentioning anything about replica Diamondbacks. Maybe it was just a mis-interpretation.
Diamondbacks are pretty distinctive with the full underlug on the barrel bottom and full vented rib on the top. Built on the "D" frame which is smaller than the Python frame and will always have "Diamondback" inscripted on the left side of the barrel.
HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hello coltfans, it's the virgin from Holland again.

I'm very busy reading all the old topics about Diamondbacks on this board. I read somewhere that diamonback68 ran into a couple of replicas of DB's during a gun show he visited in 2003. Since me being in the process of maybe purchasing a diamondback .22
can he (or of course anyone else) tell me what to look for to make sure that what I'm going to look at in 2 weeks time is the reel thing? The dealer had a picture on the net but I think that the original grips where replaced by others (medaillion missing).
I 've found many postings of serialnumbers which relates to DOB (date of birth?) where can I find them on the gun?

Thanks already

Greetings from Holland

Gunsmoke

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
I don't recall ever mentioning anything about replica Diamondbacks. Maybe it was just a mis-interpretation.
Diamondbacks are pretty distinctive with the full underlug on the barrel bottom and full vented rib on the top. Built on the "D" frame which is smaller than the Python frame and will always have "Diamondback" inscripted on the left side of the barrel.
HTH

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sorry, Diamonback68. Your right. I read the posting back. It dates from 6-30-2003 in which you wrote about a visit to a big big gunshow where you only saw duplicates and not replicas. I missread that one, sorry!

Greetings
Gunsmoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts