Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you, if not most, probably already know that the Rough Riders carried SAAs, ranging from SN1204 all the way up to SN189503, with SNs scattered throughout. The Springfield Armory Museum -- Collection Record lists the troopers, their Troop, rank and name, and the SAA serial number of the gun issued to them. See the link below and scroll down. What a find--for me, at least. So here's a chance to possibly locate your SN and who had possession of it. It also says that the troopers, when they mustered out, were given the opportunity to purchase their weapon, and, of course, some just disappeared.

Interesting reading. Go here: Springfield Armory Museum - Collection Record,

Don't know if that's clickable, but at least you can enter it manually.

Hopefully, for some of you, it'll turn out to be one more piece of the history of your own SAA.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I'm sorry to admit, that when I click on the link I showed you in my post it doesn't produce what I was telling you. I copy pasted the link directly into my post, but only the boxes for entering the search parameters comes up. I have no idea why it won't take you directly to what I described. Call me "Technologically challenged"

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Scribbler, the link as you posted it took me directly there. No problems. I did notice that the only units listed were G and I Troops. Perhaps a more astute historian than me can comment on the other Troops' sidearms?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear you found the site ok, majdad93. Even though only G and I troops are listed, it'd be nice if some of our Forum members located their piece and learned who carried it as they followed Teddy. I'm always looking for another piece of the puzzle in the history of my SAA. One of the I troopers listed had one just a couple of numbers later than mine. Really close.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
That's pretty interesting. I looked for familiar names from history on there. I wonder if I had past relatives fighting in Cuba. My grandmother was born around that time so maybe some family were there. But she was born in Madrid and those relatives would have been on top of those two hills during the big battle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.