Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone read this out of print book by Bob Nichols?

I came across a reference to it in one of Mas Ayoob's new books but would like some opinion on it before seeking out an expensive used copy.

Regards, Racingsnake

·
Registered
67 Posts
RacingSnake,

Thanks for bringing up Bob Nichol's book on DA pistol shooting. It's an interesting and well written book on a specialized subject at the time he wrote it. Reminds me that it's time to strap on one or a brace of my Half Fitz's and to re-read Secrets of DA Shooting. Nichol's book is a piece o' history dating back to the days when DA shooting was most uncommon except for the early masters such as Ed McGivern and John Henry FitzGerald. I was excited to find a copy some ten-20 years ago and pleased that it was a virtually unread first edition.

I enjoy my older books like McGivern's, FitzGerald's, Applegate's (had an early edition of Kill or Be Killed bound in leather by a shop in Saigon even more years ago), and Fairbairn and Sykes volumes. Always enlightening and amusing to read such things from a contemporary writer claiming his new discovery of various techniques that have been around for years. The other writers were well before my time, but I'll always regret not sending my Applegate collection to Rex to have him inscribe them.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Sounds like a Book I would enjoy Reading.

I will be looking for a Copy.

I found DA Shooting to be easy and Natural and never had any idea it had taken to long to seem to catch on. I can not think of one DA Revolver in my posession where I would ever miss the Hammer Spurr if it were Bobbed, since I never use it anyway.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I guess times have moved on for most with striker fired pistols. For me nothing feels more natural (and safer) than a double action revolver.

I'm going to try and find a reasonably priced copy.

Regards, Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
T'ain't that DA revolver shooting is DIFFICULT, it just requires more discipline than many are willing to devote to coordinating the basics. And, of course, shooting a revolver SA is easier to make small groups on a flat range. Nichol's book is a good place to start, for sure. No self-proclaimed hero there, just a clear explanation (all too rare amongst gunwriters) of how to shoot DA. Think you'll be happy if you can find a copy. I've never done a search for the book and picked mine up at an out of print shop in Maine and it's the only one I've seen in a lot of fossicking about in such shops. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts