Colt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Dane, I am glad tis thread reappeared. I enjoyed seeing those beautiful revolvers. As a Big John Wayne fan I have often thought about having a Colt engraved to look similar to the the ones used in "The Shootist" I would even buy one of the ones that EMF put out about 2 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't discover them until they were sold out. Since I want one I bet they won't make available again. It would be a great fit for my Hondo rig.

·
Registered
Have always had an affinity for antique Colt Single Actions!
520 Posts

Always admired and then lusted over that pair of fully engraved and blued GWs used in "The Shootist".
But also no doubt in my mind JW wouldn't have built them the way they were delivered given a choice. This particular pair were a gift from Great Western to Wayne. He liked them enough to use them in the movie...which he likely suspected would be his last. But I'd also bet he preferred a Colt given the chance.

The originals now at the National Cowboy Museum, in OKC.

In 1976 John Wayne played his last role in "The Shootist". The story line was simple. "A dying gunfighter spends his last days looking for a way to die with a minimum of pain and a maximum of dignity."

Glendon Swarthout - The Shootist

John Wayne: one last shot before the final farewell - Telegraph

The film is based on the 1975 novel of the same name by Glendon Swarthout[3] with a screenplay by Miles Hood Swarthout (the son of the author) and Scott Hale, and featuring Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, Harry Morgan, Richard Boone and James Stewart among other well know character actors.

"The aging Books (John Wayne) and the Old West are dying. Arriving in Carson City, Nevada on January 22, 1901, reading reports of the death of Great Britain's Queen Victoria in the newspaper, Books is insulted by a stranger who calls him an "old man" and barks at him to get out of the way. Books seeks a medical opinion from someone he trusts, E. W. "Doc" Hostetler (James Stewart). Hostetler confirms a Colorado doctor's prognosis of a painful and undignified death from cancer, so Books rents a room from the widow Bond Rogers (Lauren Bacall) and her teenage son Gillom (Ron Howard) to contemplate his fate."

The Shootist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a story that has been played out many times in real life in one form or another. I find much to admire and ponder in the film. I liked it 30 years ago (for different reasons) and for more obvious reasons now.

Down but not out!

And my new pair below which took 2 years to get sorted out . Long Hunter's full action/ trigger jobs, rear sight cuts with bulleye ejectors added. Guns were shot a bunch before heading off to the engravers. Both guns are signed. The upper gun is by past Colt, master level engraver, John Adams Sr. and has slightly more cover than the lower gun. Lower gun was done by Darrick Smalley. The design for the pair mimics a specific, 1890's Cuno Helfricht pattern. Finish was done in an antiqued full blue. Beautiful colors and heavy grain in the matching bookend, one piece ivory by Gene @ Gunner Products which I then hand fitted. Only the lower gun is really showing the ivory very well in the less that stellar photo.

Two guns that shot well enough from the get go to deserve the extra cosmetic enhancements imo.

Boy o boy! What a tribute, and very well done, Dane!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I see we've brought another thread back from the dead.

But as long as it back, I'll add a comment. Beautiful guns, I'm not much of a fan of engraved SAAs, but these are VERY nice.

As to "The Shootist", I never thought it was a very good movie. Clichéish script, one dimensional characters, it has the look of a '70s made for TV movie. It's one of my least favorite JW westerns, that and True Grit. IMO, his best western was Red River, in that one he actually acted.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I think it helps to live through a nasty bit of cancer to really appreciate the, "The Shootist". No one has made it out alive yet. Wayne knew full well he was dying of cancer when he was working on the movie.

One thing for sure though, the movie might make one look a bit side ways at anyone willing to own, let alone shoot a nickel Colt or a S&W #3 ;)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

I can't look at those guns- like looking at a girl who who so dang beautiful- once glance will break yer heart. Wowser!!! :)

Here some info on Remington Rider double action revolvers- never heard of them until somewhere jawboning about "The Shootist" somebody pointed them out, so they did exist- but no .44's it seems. Not many were made production stopped in 1873.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yahoody, speaking of H.V. .44WCF ammo, I saw a handload for it in "Cartridges of the World" using, I believe, Hercules, (it was from an old edition) 2400 powder, can't remember the charge, a 200GR bullet, supposedly giving about 1800FPS, IIRC, with a warning to use it only in 1892 actions in good condition.
TBone, I was saddened to see another good actor dieing right before my eyes in that movie besides JW. Who, you might ask? Richard Boone, jd45
Infact Ive used 2400 powder in my 92 44wcf rile for neally 40yrs, yep its hot but it packs a hell of a punch, have rolled 100s of roos with this setup.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Great movie,always liked the line about “ them Sweeney’s “ referring to Richard Boone. 😝

Reactions: Wes Terner

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Reactions: Wes Terner

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Great movie, one of the best ever.

But a few factual errors relative to the Colt Single Action Army revolver:

Opening scene shows J B Books with a SAA revolver in 1871, two years prior to its advent.

Then a revolver is depicted with an ovoid ejector rod head in 1880, but the bullseye style was used in civilian models until approximately 1882.

Interestingly, IIRC, the gravestone he commissions gives his date of birth as 29 January 1843, the same day then President William McKinley was born. This seems more than just coincidental?????

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
One likely needs to ignore a lot in the "Shootist" to get the full effect. I've watched it more than once and find every nuance that means nothing, means nothing. Wayne was only 69 when the film was made. He would live another 3 years with the death sentence already delivered. Stomach cancer...who would have thought? I had always thought it was lung cancer.

Wayne was an actor and a man of his time. With opinions were strong and common place then and now. Good or bad depending on your own opinion.

I didn't admire everything about JW or his political views. Never even thought he was really much of an actor. But I really like this movie and the character Wayne played in the "Shootist". I don't "see" much there I take exception with. Kinda like some of my best friends, it is easy to ignore the obvious warts 🤣

Air gun Everyday carry Wood Hunting knife Trigger

Who hasn't had their back up against the wall with little chance of a way out?
Bottle Art Barware Alcoholic beverage Drink

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the "The Shootist" is midling among "Duke" films, IMHO, but it does achieve its goal depicting the end of the Wild West era. I owe it to myself to read the book someday.

No, it doesn't have the best technical directing such as appropriate western/firearms detailing, but it was not that kind of movie. It was basically a homage to John Wayne, as stated previously dying from cancer. An actor dying of cancer playing a character dying of cancer. It was a way of both honoring and saying goodbye to the Duke. That is why so many top actors wanted in on it.

As most know, he was dying of cancer from shooting the movie "The Conqueror" in nuclear fallout areas of Utah. 100 people on the movie got cancer and 46 died from it. Sad.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love movies and if one is good, I can usually overlook the obvious technical mistakes. Sound doesn't travel through the vacuum of space but I loved Star Wars with it's loud outter space explosions and screaming engines anyway. Sure, it would be nice if everything rose to the level of "Saving Private Ryan".

Collectors are so knowledgeable, it often ruins their fun.

My brother is a WWII history maniac. He can identify any aircraft. Knows all about the details of every German and US uniform. We would be watching a romance movie or something general audience like "Winds of War", and suddenly my brother would chime in with "Eisenhower jackets weren't used in Pearl Harbor", or some such minutea!

I am thinking, It is a romance movie. NOBODY CARES. :LOL:

We were watching a Disney movie about an Antarctic sled dog team being abandoned and left on their own. The movies is about their survival and eventual rescue or partial rescue. The dogs are beautiful and fun to watch for 2 hours. The movie starts out -- I mean, the first minute -- with the sled dogs all sitting on couches inside the warm hut with the humans. My brother got up and said, "you have to leave sled dogs outside all the time or they won't go out in the cold. Stupid movie!" and walks off to his room.

It is a DISNEY film. With pretty Siberian Huskies frolicking around. WHO CARES? :ROFLMAO:

It takes all kinds. It is all good...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Love the beautiful engraved pairs and I'm a John Wayne fan but I find it odd that you guys don't know the big cartridge in the gun belt is to use as a pusher when loading the 92, or other side loading lever gun. Getting those last few or even the last one without getting sore fingers needs a tool to shove it in. I'm 82 and have had a tumor removed from my neck/jaw and took the decision to not do radiation so I know I haven't many years left.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts