Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got one of my Official Police guns timed. The single action timing has slowly gone out to where when I cock the gun as slow as possible the cylinder doesn't go all the way and I have to either squeeze the trigger or move the cylinder the rest of the way with my hand. It's an extremely minor point and the gun is still in useable condition as a shooter and a defense gun, but should the timing have gone out in only a few months?

·
Registered
909 Posts
No. Dfariswheel would know the why's, but the Colts that I have had retimed over the years are all still going strong. To me, this would indicate that the gunsmith wasn't qualified to work on Colt's D.A.'s.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the smith that worked on it was I belive "factory" qualified. I do work the action pretty frequently in practice while placing empty cartridges in the gun and slowly shooting the guns action to practice. But still, after only a few months. I wouldn't think metal would wear that quickly. I noticed it's doing it on another OP I had timed about the same time.
When I got both guns back, the SA timing was perfect. The arm/paw would move the cylinder notch to to the bolt exactly as it should. The point of the arm shouldn't wear that quickly though.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
sir,the hand on your revolver has seated. the hand is a hardened part and will not wear through normal use. however it recieves a slight impulse from the larger and quite heavier cylinder on firing which in effect peens it shorter{in thousandth`s} over time. correctly fitted the bottom finger should be left just ever so slightly long and seated by test firing or approved bench seating. your smith has neglected to do this.in my opinion i would have a new hand fitted by someone who knows the colt action well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts