Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering what you guys think of the 30th ed. to Kopec's book, "The Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver". I ran across it online and read that it has updated information and newer pictures than the original. As I have never seen one in person I was wondering if it was worth purchasing if I already had the original. I know you can never have to many great books on the subject, but it is a little pricey. Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Cant answer your question but while I know and understand why Colt firearms are so expensive...the price of Colt reference books is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering what you guys think of the 30th ed. to Kopec's book, "The Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver". I ran across it online and read that it has updated information and newer pictures than the original. As I have never seen one in person I was wondering if it was worth purchasing if I already had the original. I know you can never have to many great books on the subject, but it is a little pricey. Thanks
The latest edition is supposed to have updated info. I bought it. Glad to have it but I'm strictly a SAA guy and not sure it would be worth the cost if you're not.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
The books may be expensive and then sometimes after they go out of print they really get expensive but I'm amazed to think of the money the information gleaned from my reference has saved and also made me. Thinking of it that way the books are pretty cheap investments and tools.

Reactions: Colt75

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope I am not hijacking this tread, but I sent a US Calvary SAA to Mr. Kopec several years ago to verify. He called and asked for my permission to put it in the new edition book they were publishing. If someone has this 30th Edition could you please you send me a PM, If it is in the book I would probably be interested in purchasing the book.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
These are wonderful books filled with information and photographic art. They can save you a lot of money in high CSAA purchases. And they are great stress relievers to browse through at bedtime.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hope I am not hijacking this tread, but I sent a US Calvary SAA to Mr. Kopec several years ago to verify. He called and asked for my permission to put it in the new edition book they were publishing. If someone has this 30th Edition could you please you send me a PM, If it is in the book I would probably be interested in purchasing the book.

Thanks
I've got it. P.M. or post your serial and I'll check to see if the pic was published.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The books may be expensive and then sometimes after they go out of print they really get expensive but I'm amazed to think of the money the information gleaned from my reference has saved and also made me. Thinking of it that way the books are pretty cheap investments and tools.
Yes agreed, however, if they save us $1000 on a purchase, technically the book would be worth buying for $900, yet i bet few would buy it for $900 so that argument doen't really make sense. Some coin collecting books that help collectors avoid thousands of dollars worth of mistakes sell for 30 bucks. From a practical point of view I just dont understand why books about Colt firearm collecting costs so much. If they sell for bigger bucks when they go out of print (which they always do too soon with a limited printing of 500 or so) why dont they just print more on the first run? There are no royalties to the author or profit for the publisher when a collector pays say $250 for an out of print book.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,
I assume you mean the the 30th Anniversary book.
I bought it a few years ago and it is great. I call it the Colt SAA Bible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts