Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am curious about the evolution of the Colt ACP from the early auto loaders up to the 1909 had external extractors. So, what was the final factors that Mr. Browning considered to make the final decision to go with the current internal extractor in the 1911. O know there was a 1910 but I don't know much about these. I may need to review the videos of the 1911 again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so what was the deciding factor to go with the final internal extractor design? I'm curious because my S&W E Series has an external extractor as well as the Sigs. Also modern Auto loader pistols use external extractors that work very well.
To me, the internal extractor is an elegant design and "subjectively" is prone to carbon contamination more so that the external design, primarily because I can't see the carbon. Additionally, the external extractor can be cleaned easily with a brush, solvent, and compressed air in just a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
yup, and thanks...

(I've gotten in the habit of not posting pix that aren't mine, and if I do I'll attribute them)

On the original question, I don't know why JMB did what he did, but it worked :)
And he carried feature that into the High Power too so must have had a good reason.
Maybe to keep dirt out in austere environments?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
That was my understanding as well, concerning Ordinance's requiring no tools to be
required for disassembly. That is one of the negatives they found with the Model of 1905.
A pin punch was needed to separate the barrel from the slide due to Browning's parallel
ruler design. Two pins used to secure the barrel / slide and had to be pushed out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts