Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought I'd even consider it, but this little XDs in .45ACP shoots and carries so well, it just might replace my custom Colt CCO for daily carry.

capacity is only one less round

shoots just as accurately out to 50yds

lighter and more slender

Forgive me, John Moses Browning, for I have sinned. :(

ugly

not ugly

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the most accurate subcompact I've ever shot.

My FFL showed up at the range while I was practicing for a 50yd silhouette match.

NIB, he loaded 5 rounds of cheap Blazer and pinged my 8" target 5 of 5 at 50.

Reloaded it, handed it to me, I pinged it 4 of 5.

closed the deal right there

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's the most accurate subcompact I've ever shot.

My FFL showed up at the range while I was practicing for a 50yd silhouette match.

NIB, he loaded 5 rounds of cheap Blazer and pinged my 8" target 5 of 5 at 50.

Reloaded it, handed it to me, I pinged it 4 of 5.

closed the deal right there
Similar experience for me. My brother owns one and we went to the range together. Him with his XDs and me with my Kimber. We didn't go to 50, but I saw how accurate and consistent that thing was at 20 and in and was hooked. Found a deal on a used one shortly after and scarfed it up.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Similar experience for me. My brother owns one and we went to the range together. Him with his XDs and me with my Kimber. We didn't go to 50, but I saw how accurate and consistent that thing was at 20 and in and was hooked. Found a deal on a used one shortly after and scarfed it up.
I went home from the range and ordered one that night.

Here's a target from 25, standing, two-handed but not slow fire

·
Registered
665 Posts
Certain weapons should be looked at the same as a shovel. It may not be pretty, but if you need to dig a hole, it's the perfect tool. Glocks, XDs and the like fall into that category for me. And besides, when it gets scratched or worn, no one cares.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I always liked the Springfield XD line. I figured if I got a plastic gun, it would be an XD series. The Club I belong to has raffles every year and we've given away a number of them and always get good reports back.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trigger quality varies with each gun

grip safety was too small for my hands

other than those to picked nits....I like it

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I had a s&w m&p 45 for 2 weeks, traded it in on a springfield RO 45. i'll never go plastic again. I guess i'm too stuck in my ways. the S&W was good but the 1911 is better. I for one don't like all the small parts I see in the plastic guns frame. the 1911 just seems more robust. there's 100 year old 1911's still running I don't think the plastic guns will even come close, not that 100 years from now anyone will care.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I had one once, shot it a bit and just couldn't get past it's ugliness,see no need to shoot a ugly gun when so many nice looking guns are out there. My carry gun is a Dan Wesson CCO I only wanted 1 semi auto and looked at Colt,Kimber and DW.Features offered by DW were the clincher for me. Maybe a SS 1911 someday but not a striker operated semi auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's ugly, no doubt.

And the CCO is beautiful.

The 11oz difference is substantial when all the "shootability" factors are equal in my carry piece.

But I'm guilt ridden. :eek:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The XD is a tool designed for a purpose ,just like the Glock.They aint preety but they do the job.I love my DS and my Cobra.I wound up getting a Classic S+W Chief's Special as a replacement for Model 640 Barrel Launcher #2. After they replaced the barrel due to factory defect and my friend gave me a set of REAL Chief's Special Grips I find myself carrying it more because it does the job and I really don't care if it gets bumped or scratched.It isn't REPLACING my beloved Colts,it is sparing them extra holster wear....Your 45 Colt will never be replaced

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I actually had a XD 45 bought when they first came out in '06 and it was a tack driving sonofagun. It took some adjusting on my part for proper hand purchase and never quite felt right, for me. Racking the slide with the double spring system that Springfield XDs utilizes became harder with a hand issue I had so it eventually went on the trading block. I will admit that the accuracy was above average but I just never became comfortable with it as I am with other semi autos.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had a SA XDs but it didn't work out well for me. The first 75 rounds went perfect, then the slide started locking back with rounds still in the magazine. I could usually count on the slide locking at least once per magazine, even when shooting left handed. Two trips back to SA and they could find no problems and offered me a full refund. I asked instead of a refund, how about another handgun from their product line and they answered sure, what would you like. I said I would like like a Compact 3.8 45 and they no problem and they shipped one right out. The xdm has become my daily carry. Accurate and reliable. One range day I carried my GM 45. Shooting multiple reactive targets varying from 10 to 15 yards, the xdm was more accurate for me and far more faster for me. On paper, they seem about equal, but that wasn't a good comparison on paper that day. I suspect with good ammo the GM would may be more accurate considering past experiences. I want to add that that the XDs was very accurate, also.

The above was originally 3 paragraphs, but.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This thread begs the question. What makes the XD so accurate?
I have no clue.

It's not just "accurate", it's remarkably accurate for a subcompact.

Just for fun I may even shoot a 50yd, centerfire, silhouette match with it soon.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
trigger quality varies with each gun

grip safety was too small for my hands

other than those to picked nits....I like it
The heart likes what the heart likes. Nothing wrong with that. Other models of the XD have insert or maybe more properly called add-ons to the grip surface. I'm presuming this model does not.

But either way; good shooting Doc!!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What makes this XD so accurate is a simple answer.......The Colt shooter beind the trigger.....
hahaha....good one! :)

I posted this before, but at a recent 50yd centerfire silhouette match I had a squib load in my M629.

While the clock was still running, I re-loaded my carry gun, a Colt CCO, and knocked down the last three targets in the stage!

Couldn't do that again for $1K. :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts