Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I watched a very mediocre western called "An Eye For An Eye" where Patrick Wayne plays a real fast gun who is actually ridiculously slow in it. Anyway, I noticed his short barreled Colt had a bizarre extended grip frame I believe made by Andy Anderson. The back strap is much longer and the trigger guard has a place for the little finger at the bottom. Here's a picture of that grip frame in a 1962 gun magazine I have. The one in the movie was stag.

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wyatt, very interesting, could the “little “ finger rest have been to facilitate the grip while fanning?
I don’t know: but even with my aveage size hand I hang the little finger off the butt a lot. This has a specific secure spot for it. I think Bob Arganbright said Steve McQueen used one in Nevada Smith but I can’t recall seeing it. He did use a Bisley, though, and a real Schofield.

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture above is hard to make out because his hand is covering the bottom of the grip.
No, Mike. That’s what’s so weird about the grip shape. His hand is completely behind it. I sure see what you mean, though. The bottom of the grip frame almost matches the lines of the guy’s hand if it were in front.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Read somewhere that Marty Robbins visited Andy Anderson's shop back in the day. He saw one of Anderson's Colts that had a strange grip shape and when asked about it, Anderson replied that's my big iron." The rest is (music) history. Just something I recall reading somewhere.

· Registered
3,603 Posts
Read somewhere that Marty Robbins visited Andy Anderson's shop back in the day. He saw one of Anderson's Colts that had a strange grip shape and when asked about it, Anderson replied that's my big iron." The rest is (music) history. Just something I recall reading somewhere.
I made the grips for Andy's "big iron"

· Premium Member
5,807 Posts
It seems to me like the extension is for a bit of pivoting leverage when rotating the gun once it clears leather.

· Registered
344 Posts
I made the grips for Andy's "big iron"
I don't know you or know much of your life. From the tiny I have read here, I swear you need a good author to write your biography, including all of your first hand stories.

It doesn't matter than the subject matter is not mainstream. A well written book about your life would be popular. Nostalgia is always popular and the Hollywood tie-in could make it doubly so.

It would be a shame for you to pass on without an authoritative biography of your life.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I totally agree! Jim please consider this!
I don't know you or know much of your life. From the tiny I have read here, I swear you need a good author to write your biography, including all of your first hand stories.

It doesn't matter than the subject matter is not mainstream. A well written book about your life would be popular. Nostalgia is always popular and the Hollywood tie-in could make it doubly so.

It would be a shame for you to pass on without an authoritative biography of your life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts