Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last 3 purchases have been refinishes. Either the seller doesn't know what a refinish looks like or they are unaware and they're trying to unload the gun to some unsuspecting person. Be certain to have a good buyer/seller return agreement and buyer beware.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We buy revolvers at shows, gun, and pawn shops. I am amazed that lately more refinished guns seem to be showing up. When you start pointing out fairly obvious sign of refinishing such as edges not being sharp, stamping being faint, and an older gun looking far to good to be true, like no cylinder ring at all, the shop people all with the exception of one fellow act surprised. Yeah sure! Did they call your attention to it, of course not. One gun shop owner was almost crestfallen when I pointed it out, probably because he paid to much for a Smith that appeared to have been reblued many years ago, and some of the rust was coming through the new blue. He wanted $850 for it, and I would not have paid $250. My answer to a large part of this problem is the escalation in gun values over the past couple of years. It seems in many cases now, Mr. Greed has stepped in. If I cannot hold a revolver in my hands and carefully inspect it, I don't buy. There are enough guns laying around at shows, and in gun & pawn shops to tax my available cash, and my wifes good humor. Robba

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see lots of refinished pieces. Some sellers are liars. Some sellers will admit it if questioned. Some sellers actually value appearance over originality. It depends sometimes on the seller being a dealer, a collector, a shooter, or just an accumulator. I will buy refinished if the price is right since I like to shoot them. Age has something to do with it sometimes. Young sellers may not know what a finish from 1912 or 1950 looks like.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A factory re-blue. from the correct era, with the same bluing process that the gun came with, will most likely look very good. Bluing done many years later will look out of place to the trained eye.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Saw 2 1903 .32 pocket hammerless pistols at a show last weekend, one a military, the second commercial that looked brand new from a few feet away. Neither guy made no mention of refinishing, although both were blatant. I launghed at both guys walked away strong, then when I rounded the tables I almost cried.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes, the gun shows are the "venue" to dump a gun you are either 'stuck with' or got "screwed" on. Most gun shops can "usually " tell and will not give/allow much on any 'trade-in' or buy it outright, so guess what , it's "off to the gun show".
I set up at most of the shows around here in northern Ohio and I see "reblued" guns ALL the time. As said above most say "nothing", ( I think they know!) The others will come out and say , "oh yes, my so-in-so, had it done years ago" Now what's it worth. I have to tell them the 'truth' yes, some will get "upset", look at you strangely maybe, but the guys and dealers who know me, know I used to do this for a "living" (had 3 gun shops over the years and we "refinished/ restored" firearms of ALL types and degrees of "refinish". From a basic "strip & dip", to a full house "restoration". So they trust my judgement.

Today there are more and more gunshops that are getting into "bluing", the equipment is readily available and companies like 'Dulite' will do whatever it takes to help you out, both in equipment and the solutions ,and to trouble shooting. Problem is ,MOST of the people do NOT have the proper training, experience, or knowledge to correctly/properly "prepare" (prep) the gun parts, and the finished product will show it. They will "jump out at you"!

Fine and dandy, then the "buy /sell" price MUST be adjusted accordingly, as it is NO longer "original". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least this seller is honest (after someone called his bluff). This is a good example of a poor refinish. Look at the stamping and rounded edges.

Re-blued Detectijve Special

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colt also shipped some of them to the Royal Hong Kong Police. These were in .38 Colt New Police. (aka .38 S&W) They had the square butt and the lanyard ring. Also a tropical finish. At least I think it is. A nice-looking Colt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts