Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is being faced with the "shoot it or preserve" dilemma.

After wanting one for a long time, I finally got a brand new SAA P1850. I had gotten it with the full intention of shooting it, but when I opened the box and saw that it looked sooooooooo nice, I started to wonder if I should just keep it that way.

Making things even worse was reading this on the 3rd page of the Instruction Manual:
THIS IS A COLLECTOR'S FIREARM

Collectors of fine firearms, such as this Colt revolver, should be aware that:
1. Loading and unloading the firearm will show wear and lead to loss of collector value.
2. Excessive handling will lead to premature wear and cause loss of value.
3. Firing this revolver will cause immediate extreme loss of collector's value.

Sheesh, what a problem! I didn't buy this to be a collector, and it wasn't made in the 19th century, but still.... I'm going to have to ponder this one for a while.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you bought it to shoot, Go shoot it..................BUT, before you handle and manipulate it too much, learn the correct way to do so...........And, hopefully, minimize getting a "Drag Line"....

Don't lower the hammer, except from FULL cock position, and don't let the "UNINFORMED" handle (operate) the the gun...........

Ask around, and others here will help with how to handle a SAA properly.

Tom

·
Registered
317 Posts
What a dilema. I sure hope to be in that position soon. I too want to buy a new Colt SAA to shoot. You made me think though; you had the same intention until you opened up the box. I loved reading your post becasue I can't wait to be in the same position; hopefully soon. Steve

·
Registered
909 Posts
IMO, when you can suppress the urge to shoot an unfired gun, you have headed down the slippery slope towards collecting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is it possible to buy a used one? If so, then maybe you can have your cake AND eat it too. If you don't want a used version but still want to fire your NIB, then think of it this way- it's YOUR gun. Do you want to get rid of it? Do you see yourself tiring of it or needing the money? No? Then shoot the hellnout of it. It's your virgin to take, enjoy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If one buys a high end tool and fails to check it out for function, you may just need that tool down the line to use if for its intended purpose and find it's unserviceable. Shoot it, it's not a high end electric drill.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For me it depends upon what the gun is. An SAA 3rd gen??? There are MANY out there, I would shoot it. yes collectibility is gone but you bought it to shoot so shoot it. Now, if you find an unfired 2nd Gen SAA that is a different matter...or an unfired Python, etc. they are not making anymore of those.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I saw the same writing in the manual with my new SAA and new 01918 WW1 1911. They are the only brand new Colt guns Ive ever bought. After reading this I thought- Must be they put that in there hoping that most buyers wont shoot the guns.
That way their product liabilty risk goes down and also the chance of someone returning the gun for a mechanical problem goes away. I assume it was probably suggested by a lawyer , insurance rep. ,or just the management.
I can understand how it could be to their advantage.
However I didnt pay much attention. I shot mine soon after I got them. I am pleased to say that I have had no mechanical problems with either. And if I want to meticulously clean the guns ,it would be exteremely hard to see theyve been shot(much).

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you're laying in bed on your last days.. . Will you say, "I'm glad I kept my SAA pristine for the next owner." or "I'm glad I enjoyed my SAA." ?

For me, the latter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Guess I agree with the shoot it group, and wonder if it will appreciate that much as a collectable in your lifetime. My thought is to make and share some memories with your kids, grandkids and any other assorted friends and relatives. Shoot it with them and let it be the start of a family heirloom.

I have my grandpa's first gen SAA, and I really wonder if it would have that nostalgic, sentimental feeling if were NIB. Yeah it would be valuable, but he never knew it...... as you may never know it. My Mom relates watching her Dad firing a full cylinder into the air while on the town square every New Years eve (yes a small town in early "30's). She was about six then...88 next birthday. Hard to put a price on memories.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Colt just wants you to believe that it's a collector. It won't be elevated to that status until they no longer build that model. Sells more guns. How many 1st gen. Colts do you see for sale that say unfired in factory new condition? Probably none. Jim

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
To shoot .. or not to shoot... that is the question.
Well, the only way a 2nd gen unfired .. in the box gets that way is if you don't shoot it. If you never want to collect, shoot it. If you want to collect then buy a used one or a USFA or Uberti and shoot one of those. I can tell you that even if its a NIB Colt 3rd gen, it is gonna go up in value. The demand is more than the supply. I can't find a gunstore in Eastern NC or online where you can plop down cash same day and walk out with a Colt single action that is not pre-owned. That means a NIB condition is valuable. If you got her sitting in the safe and happen and god forbid you needed cash, well.. list that NIB Colt and I bet you won't wait long. I don't believe you will see a P1850 NIB grow moss on Gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Quercus: Ponder away...been there. After all can't get that "new" back. Most of the time I've gone ahead and taken the Colt in question out to the range and never regretted it one bit, but there's still a couple nickle SAA's sitting in the safe in ponder limbo. But they seem to be waiting patiently and not kicking up too much of a fuss for me to decide yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They're making thousand of them still of the latest third generation. Shoot it. Why would you want a Safe Queen? If it was a virgin unissued and unturned 1st generation U.S. Cavalry SAA, Serial no. 37, you'd want to handle it carefully.thThe newest ones won't appreciate in value for many, many, many years unless they stopped making them, as was stated earlier. Even then, with so many allready out there, they just aint that hard to find. Any first generation SAA will appreciate in value much more and and in a lot less time if it's still sound. Many of those are available within a reasonable price. Shoot the new Colt like it was intended and collect the nice collectable antiques that go up like a good sound Stock investment.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time this exact question pops up on this forum... and the answers are usually the same also. The consensus is generally, SHOOT IT!

I also just had a man tell me the other day he bought three NIB nickel SAA's in 3 different lengths, all consecutive serial numbers. He read the owner's manual and is now hesitant to shoot them because of what it said about value, although before he read the manual, he had every intent to shoot them.

Bottom line: Shoot it. There's a million reasons why you should shoot it vs one reason why you shouldnt (value/collectibility....a LONG time from now). You have to decide whats more important to you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Odd instructions for any manufacturer to include with their product, "don't use it, might go down in value". Use it as it was intended. My 3rd has 5k through it, and now only real bp.......still looks like new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone ... I know this same question keeps coming up over and over - to shoot it or not - and there are clearly multiple points of view and good reasons to go either way.

I really did buy this one with the intention of shooting it, but obviously once it's been shot you can't change your mind. Since I'm not in a big rush, I think I'll just sit here and carefully "appreciate" it for now while I try to make up my mind. My guess is that I'll just have to shoot it - eventually. My original intention was also to buy the perfect gunleather to go with it, so perhaps I'll focus on that for the time being.

The thought of "buy another (used) one to shoot" has occurred to me too, and brings with it a new set of pros and cons (more Colts = good, more expense = bad). Sigh. Life is so full of choices.

BTW, the P1850 is my 3rd Colt, joining a 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32ACP (1926) and a 1911 O1980XSE. They all seem very special. I don't feel the same way about any of the other brands of gun I own.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts