Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone;

Browsing around the web today I came across this old photo of a group of old gunslingers of the 1950's and 60's and was wondering about the fella in the centre foreground with the dark blue shirt.

Can anyone tell me if that's Thell Reed? It's been a very long time but that sure looks like Big Bear, California, and Thell Reed.

I'm pretty sure if Jim Martin sees this photo he would know for sure, but if anyone else knows, please let me know would you?

Thanks, and my apology for the photo quality.

Bud

Thell_Reed.png

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hi Everyone;

Browsing around the web today I came across this old photo of a group of old gunslingers of the 1950's and 60's and was wondering about the fella in the centre foreground with the dark blue shirt.

Can anyone tell me if that's Thell Reed? It's been a very long time but that sure looks like Big Bear, California, and Thell Reed.

I'm pretty sure if Jim Martin sees this photo he would know for sure, but if anyone else knows, please let me know would you?

Thanks, and my apology for the photo quality.

Bud

View attachment 458786
Bud:That isn't Big Bear, I don't see Thell in the picture,I've known him since he was 15 but the guy in the back row 3rd from the left is Al Brian & the mexican on the lower right is non-other than Alphonso Pineda the owner of Alpnonso's of Hollywood,in my opinion probably one of the best fast draw holster makers,he started out working for Arvo Ojala,I met him then & we became life long friends until he died while recuperating following heart surgery,before he went in for this he called me to postpone his trip to come & visit me & said when he got better he'd get Ray Park one of Ojala's 4 aces to drive him over,Ray & I & Al had been friends for about 40 yrs.Ray & I also taught Al some fancy gun handling.I'm not sure because the picture is so blurry but standing to Als right might be me,if it isn't someone had a hat just like mine.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Jim,

Having looked some more after I posted, I found this photo with Thell in it. He's the one in the middle. I thought they looked alike but that's why I thought you would know best since you actually knew him. I think I need new glasses.

Thanks for the idents on all the other gents too, Jim, that's really helpful.

Bud
Reed_2.png

Bud:That isn't Big Bear, I don't see Thell in the picture,I've known him since he was 15 but the guy in the back row 3rd from the left is Al Brian & the mexican on the lower right is non-other than Alphonso Pineda the owner of Alpnonso's of Hollywood,in my opinion probably one of the best fast draw holster makers,he started out working for Arvo Ojala,I met him then & we became life long friends until he died while recuperating following heart surgery,before he went in for this he called me to postpone his trip to come & visit me & said when he got better he'd get Ray Park one of Ojala's 4 aces to drive him over,Ray & I & Al had been friends for about 40 yrs.Ray & I also taught Al some fancy gun handling.I'm not sure because the picture is so blurry but standing to Als right might be me,if it isn't someone had a hat just like mine.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Thanks Jim,

Having looked some more after I posted, I found this photo with Thell in it. He's the one in the middle. I thought they looked alike but that's why I thought you would know best since you actually knew him. I think I need new glasses.

Thanks for the idents on all the other gents too, Jim, that's really helpful.

Bud
View attachment 459090

Reading from l to r Ray Chapman,Eldon Carle,Thell,Jeff Cooper & Jack Weaver. And something I'd like to point out for all of u that carry an auto or a DA & think the rearward "cant" is the best way to wear a holster,not one of these guys are wearing one,the reason is because the rearward "cant" is slower & u have to use un-natural hand & arm positions to pull the gun from that kind of holster,the more of your body parts u have to use takes more time than drawing from a natural position,it's called "economy of motion"

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I still use the "Weaver Stance" when shooting...it was the way I was taught. At FLETC...the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center...they teach it but call it the FI"...or "Field Interview Stance". It's meant to be a natural way of standing when talking to anyone...suspect, witness, member of the public...it's a natural and balanced way of standing and keeps the sidearm away from who is being spoken to or "interviewed". It becomes muscle memory and makes a solid shooting stance without thinking.

·
Registered
688 Posts
& the mexican on the lower right is non-other than Alphonso Pineda the owner of Alpnonso's of Hollywood,in my opinion probably one of the best fast draw holster makers,he started out working for Arvo Ojala,I met him then & we became life long friends until he died while recuperating following heart surgery,before he went in for this he called me to postpone his trip to come & visit me & said when he got better he'd get Ray Park one of Ojala's 4 aces to drive him over,
Knowing that Alfonso was not Mexican I puzzled over this a bit and looked for the correct info. Took a bit until I looked in the obvious place, his son Omar's website:

https://alfonsosgunleather.com/about_us

"Alfonso Pineda, the founder of Alfonso's of Hollywood, was born in Argentina on May 24, 1923 and grew up in Nicaragua."

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Knowing that Alfonso was not Mexican I puzzled over this a bit and looked for the correct info. Took a bit until I looked in the obvious place, his son Omar's website:

https://alfonsosgunleather.com/about_us

"Alfonso Pineda, the founder of Alfonso's of Hollywood, was born in Argentina on May 24, 1923 and grew up in Nicaragua."
Before Al came to the US he was a former "cliff diver"

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
"The belt has shrunk"...classic! I like that.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I see that Jack has his trusty K-frame, but that's the strangest SAA that Thell's holding.

Buck

·
Registered
961 Posts
Interesting you can see the breechface on just about every pistol in that pic (not Chapman’s so much but looks like it is barely off) - that is some pretty good point shooting skill by that bunch.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Threads like this get me all nastalgic about my dreams as a kid. I wanted to shoot just like them guys did.;)

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I couldn't possibly argue with that analysis Jim. Since you're known as one of the worlds "Fast Draw" artists, I'd say you are also one of the leading authorities on the matter.

Thanks for your great input as usual, Jim.

Yer old saddle partner.

Bud

"...... and something I'd like to point out for all of u that carry an auto or a DA & think the rearward "cant" is the best way to wear a holster,not one of these guys are wearing one,the reason is because the rearward "cant" is slower & u have to use un-natural hand & arm positions to pull the gun from that kind of holster,the more of your body parts u have to use takes more time than drawing from a natural position,it's called "economy of motion."

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bruce;

You know, I thought that term had been long forgotten. When I started training Law Enforcement back in 1975, I taught the "Interview Stance" to every one of my trainees, rookies or seasoned veterans alike. The "Interview Stance" was great because it gave an officer an edge when speaking to someone in almost all situations. The officer would be turned slightly away from the suspect/person, (with his holstered gun on the high side as you correctly point out), and would often be holding his notebook or even his sunglasses in his hand in the event he need to step back-and-to-one-side, and toss that "book" in the face of the person being interviewed. This, hopefully was the distraction needed for the officer to draw his gun and go to work if necessary.

Thanks for the memories, Bruce. That was a nice trip down a very old lane.

Bud

I still use the "Weaver Stance" when shooting...it was the way I was taught. At FLETC...the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center...they teach it but call it the FI"...or "Field Interview Stance". It's meant to be a natural way of standing when talking to anyone...suspect, witness, member of the public...it's a natural and balanced way of standing and keeps the sidearm away from who is being spoken to or "interviewed". It becomes muscle memory and makes a solid shooting stance without thinking.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey there Merril;

What is it with these expensive gunbelts that make 'em shrink like that? A couple of my older ones shrunk like the dickens, although over this past year, they seem to have stretched a little again. Not to their original size you understand, but they're getting there. Perhaps one day soon I might just be able to wear them again. Darn cows, they stretch when they're alive and shrink when they're dead.

Bud

Alphonso made me this rig about 1970. The belt has shrunk though.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
They must use some special kind of shrink-resistant leather for the holster, since the gun still fits OK. :D

Buck

Reactions: feralmerril
1 - 20 of 21 Posts