Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post deleted by tankerfrank

·
Registered
705 Posts
Re: WTB Colt Government MK IV Series 70 or pre 70

How about a 70 series, Nickel plated for $875 Shipped? I see one on G.B. thats bid to $950 now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I love my colt's, but i may be going with a kimber, i just can't think of paying $1000.00 for a 30 year old 1911 that may or may not be original finish,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well I do see some nice pre-70 on GB, May be i will hold off on a kimber, I REAL WANT ONE NICE 70 or pre 70 to keep.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Re: think about getting a Colt Series 70 or pre 70

A very nice 1946 Government Model (misidentified as a "M1911A1") is on GunBroker right now at $3500 with about 50 minutes to go. You cannot go wrong with a Colt for holding its value.

As far as quality varying, it always has. There are good ones and not so good ones in every year. Just look carefully at the gun you are considering and, if it suits you, buy it. Obviously, there is no way to beat Pre-War quality, but later guns are nice too. For instance, I have a very early (1983 as I recall - before plastic parts found their way onto O-frame automatics) stainless Government Model that is just about perfect in fit and finish. There are great guns of every era.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts

BBBS thats a nice Colt, I miss it already. Did you shoot it yet? Don't doubt that factory nickel, I bought it from the original owner who i've known for over 20 years. I just wish I had the money to keep every gun I acquire, but I can't. If I didn't have that "Army Black" 45 in layaway I would have kept yours. Enjoy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OH BBBS
sorry I was not trying to said that your was not original finish, but that the one'S on GUN BROKER maybe, it is hard to tell from some of the sh#t photo, and GOD the price!! i must be live under a rock.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
705 Posts

Moosedog, No, not yet. Riding the scoot when it's nice out and working all the time. Maybe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

Don't let the gunbroker prices scare you away. If you watch them very long, you will see that a lot of them don't get sold due to high reserves. Original Series 70's can be had for around the same price as the new series 70's and the quality is better and there are no plastic parts on the real series 70's. Used guns that are nice and perfectly servicable can be had for much less than $800. Collectors for a bit more. Kimbers are a lot of gun for the money but have a lot of MIM parts in them and the barrels are advertised as Wilson's but that's not Bill Wilson it's Wilson barrel company from Southport, Ct and the quality isn't as good as one might be led to believe. Their high dollar custom shop guns are pretty good, but for over 2 grand they should be.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Hi Flintsghost,

Saw your "handle" .... you wouldn't happen to be a Louis L'Amour fan would you? :) Bob Best

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

Very good! I've read everyone and own almost all of them including one paperback, signed by the man himself. Flint and Reilly's Luck are my two favorites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts