Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think Colt will ever start making all kinds of new and old revolvers again? I mean besides the SAA and the Python. S&W still cranks out plenty of "locked" revolvers. Seems like colt could capitalize on that and make NON locking revolvers of the same or better quality. And no they don't have to all be hand fitted. Didn't they start mass producing parts off the assembly line in the late 70s early 80s?
Anyway, will colt ever go back over to revolvers? All you see in terms of pistols on their site are the same 3 guns. The 1911, the Single Action Army, and the Python (and that was taken off this year, but I understand will be back next year)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Nope. They'd never make any money from it. Too much competition in the low budget revolver market.

I think the Python and SAA are both a bit of an enigma. Many people still want them like they want the good old days.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Well Doug,
Only time will tell. They (Colt) tell us that they will resume production in 2006 of the Anaconda & Python. If they see that the profits are way up by not making the Wheelguns and concetrating on the military & 1911's, who knows, they may never make them again.
Keep in mind they are a business. To stay in business, they need to make money.
With the semi-auto market as hot as it is, the revolver sales are surely down.
If you want revolvers, there are so many out there now, that it's very hard to compete. And, those companies make tons of different kinds.
Take S&W and Taurus for example. If you want any kind of caliber and any size barrel length you can find it with-in those 2 companies alone.
If Colt made a Quality Hunting revolver, quality carry guns in a couple different calibers and barrel lengths and a couple different quality target guns, you could see brand loyalty all over again.
For example, you tend to see a guy that has a S&W revolver usually has more than one. Sometimes, maybe even a safe full. He wouldn't think twice about buying more either.
Those people would have a hard time straying from the brand loyalty to buy the only Colt revolver that Colt makes.
And Taurus, fu-git-about-it. They make so many different revolver variations, it's not funny. The prices are excellant as well.
When we think of Colt, we think High-End product and name recognition. The only problem is, there is not enough choices.
I've been rambling on and on, but my point is (I think there is one) if Colt feels there is NO money in making any of these, we will never see them again. Plain and simple.
***I thought Colt would have at least made a limited release of a 50th anniversary Python. Royal Blue Decked out in Gold lettering for the 50th birthday. Maybe a limited run of say 500 pieces. Sell them with full checkered wood stocks with 50th Anniversary Gold emblems.
Ahhhh... dare to dream.
Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Gunkwazy above. Colt would stand a better chance by coming out with a gun that could be sold in volume with modern manufacturing methods to drive the unit cost down. The .357 mag would seem to fit the bill (also .38 Sp). I would like them to bring back the DS II in various configurations. I would think a .357 mag Diamondback would be a good seller. If not mistaken it used MIM technology. The use of CNC and Flexible Manufacturing Centers should allow a number of combos on the basic frame.

Aside from that offer the Python and Anaconda with some different barrel lengths (3", 5") instead of producing the same old, same old.

Will any of this transpire? I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i would be one of the first in line for a new old style (no shroud) dick special...

id like to see the magnum carry come back too although i probably would get one...

david

·
Registered
778 Posts
You're not rambling, you are dreaming of the same things we all think about. Having it like "the good old days". We all long for that, in our own way. One thing I have learned from my many years in age, and business experience is that you can rarely if ever go back. Colt if they can get back in the retail end of the business will probably produce a revolver of questionable desirability. We collect mostly pre 1985 Colt, Smiths, and Ruger revolvers. In my humble opinion we will never again see guns of the quality of the pre 1985 issues. Why? Our whole society has radically changed in that period of time. I see most of the action in the gun shops on autos. Autos are easy, guick to make, and very profitable. They fit in very well with the "gimmie mine now" civilization we live in today. So my son, and I will continue to buy the older Colts, etc. that were made by hands the cared for, and took pride in their occupations. Well, there now, and you thought you were rambling on. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My opinion counts for zero, but after Colt goes back into the Python and Anaconda business; I think you'll see another revolver or two produced. S&W and Ruger may seem to have the revolver market, but their sales speak reams about the buying habits of the American public. Revolvers are becoming more popular again. My guess is something like the Detective Special or Magnum Carry and a titanium Cobra-like gun will be introduced. I hope they add a dash or something to the model designation on the frame like Smith.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Robba, quit ramblin' (just jokin')

22-rimfire, your opinion counts.

Here's a post I did along time ago and boy did it stir things up....

*******The NEW 2006 Colt revolvers .... WOW !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colt has stopped production on the Python and Anaconda line to set up some NEW equipment. They are to restart production later this year as per Colt.

Colt will be now making Pythons in Royal Blue, Stainless & Scandium.
Stainless & "NEW" Royal Blue Anacondas will be offered in .44 Magnum, .45LC & .454 Casull.
Limited edition Stainless steel Vipers & Diamondbacks in .357 magnum.
8 shot King Cobra's in 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 6 inch barrels.
Limited edition Detective specials in Polished Bright Stainless with your choice of real Ivory or Walrus tusk stocks.
Wait until you see the limited edition Custom shop engraved "Black Mamba" model. It comes in Hi-gloss Black with Black & White pearl grips. It's a 5 shot double action revolver that shoots .500 Specials or .500 Magnums and the barrel is only 2 inches long with a 1 inch compensator. You can unscrew the compensator and screw on the 10 inch long shotgun style barrel and shoot the NEW .500 magnum shotgun shells. It's very cool !!!

Just having some fun.
The above models are all fictional. It makes you think though.

I forgot to mention that they are lowing the prices to compete with Taurus.
What the heck, if we're gonna dream, make it BIG !!!

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Har, De Har, Har! Dream is right! Thank heavens there are enough of the old ones floating around out there to keep my desires mostly satisfied, and my wallet flat. Like that all but new 22 Cobra we found yesterday. Happy weekend to you all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe that when the "Protection of Lawful Commerce" bill that's pending in the House passes and the Prez signs it into law, it will help somewhat.

I recently read that Colt has virtually withdrawn from commercial firearm manufacturing because of the idiotic lawsuits that various liberal organizations have been filing. They are on precarious financial grounds already, and having to put out very much money on legal defense could kill them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Actually I don't blame then for getting out of revolver production. Most of the new pistol action I see in gun shops is on autos. There are so many makes, and variations, it gives me a headache just looking at them. The only new revolvers I see moving are the 500's, 460's, etc., and I think the reason they are moving at all is the demand for those kooky guns hasn't been satisfied yet. I am however begining to see used 500's starting to turn up for sale frequently. I still say there are enough used Colts, Smiths, and Rugers around to keep people like me happy. I am not against autos however. I have a loaded Springfield 45 that outshoots me all the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I expect Colt will just continue to peck away at the market for high-dollar nostalgia guns. I think at this point Colt has ceded the market for anything else to its competitors. They really seem to be closer to the anti-gun crowd than us. Their blunders over the last 20 years are just indescribably ridiculous. As a 60+ yr. old businessman, I've seen many companies fail. The miracle is that Colt still exists at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOOK COLT could sell every new dick spec they could make.same with the king cobra,python,and anacondas.all offered in ss,blue and alloys. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts