Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchase my first Colt DA revolver and would like some suggestions. Little background, I first handgun was Smith and Wesson Model 28 back in 1975 and I sold it (DAMM)! I have a few other Smiths DA revolvers(model 29) in the safe. In the last few years I been purchasing Colt SAA revolvers, so I am thinking about moving into Colt's DA revolvers for some new.
I am just looking for a nice shooter for my collection, so just wondering were to I start? I'm thinking no Python over price, perhaps a Trooper MKIII (similar to a S&W Model 28) or a Detective Special.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Colt Officers Model Match is a great value for the money. It would be a .38 special though...
The early Troopers were very nice. For more of an investment maybe a King Cobra.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Considering that you liked the M28, the Colt Officers Model would fit the bill nicely. They are some of the finest DA revolvers made with many styles to choose from. Also there prices haven't gone nuts yet.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am heading over to a local gun show tomorrow. So a fair price for a nice shooter grade 80/90% Official Police .38 $400.00/$500.00?

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
As cheap as you can buy it! Actually...you're in a fair ballpark.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If it were me I would go for a nice 4 inch stainless King cobra. Or maybe a nice 3.5 inch nickel mod-27 :)..................................................M*

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be clear - a Model 27 is a Smith & Wesson - he already owns several S&Ws...

The OP wants advice on a good Colt.
Correct, I am looking for my first DA Colt revolver. Heading to Cleveland's gun show this morning, for sure I will look for a Official Police revolver.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I have purchased OP, Detective Specials, Troopers and Army Specials for good prices. The Troopers run more, but are fine shooters and I really like mine. A King Cobra is not cheap, but it is another fine revolver. There are many to choose from with prices from low to high. The hunt is the fun part, then the shooting is the best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts