Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found Python today in a shop that is normally on the high side with their pricing, but this Colt was marked for $799. Seems like a pretty good deal. There was no box/paperwork with it but it is in near perfect condition. The serial number is T94xxx. Could someone tell me when it was made? Also, it has the Colt logo'ed Pachmayr grips. Would these be correct for this time of mfg? How hard(and expensive) is it to get a set of factory wood stocks?
Thanks for the help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
T94xxx was made after 1985, which is where the publicly available Colt serial numbers end.
The last number shown was at the start of '85 and it was T34453.

If you call Colt during business hours, they will give you a production date over the phone, but NO other info.

As to the rubber grips, these were "sort of" standard on stainless Pythons, but not on blued guns until the very late 1990's.

Colt factory wood grips for your era gun would be the Third type checkered walnut with gold medallions.

Note the "thumb rest" on both sides, and the straight line checkering just under the medallions.

Unfortunately, Colt wood grips are bringing sky high prices these days, unless you find some at a gun show or in a gun shop.
They turn up mostly on Ebay, but you might advertise on the Buy and Sell section here.

Watch out for phony Colt grips. Here's a pair of "replica" grips that are often sold as Colt factory. They sometimes even have Colt medallions.

Note the odd non-Colt checkering pattern.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A1A
Thanks- I've been hangin' out over at the S&W forum and have been more interested in Smiths than Colts for some time but enjoy both. My focus changes at times and I enjoy many different types of firearms. I'm still traveling each week (I'm in KS tonight) and enjoy checking out gun shops as time permits. It's fun to see what shows up at times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts