Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon All,
Thank you all again for the warm newbie's welcome on the forum! Currently, I own two Smith & Wessons out of their Classics line, a Model 586 with 4 inch barrel and a Model 10 with the 4 inch heavy barrel. While I love the looks of both guns, I have been wanting a Colt New Service in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. There is just something about the New Service and its history that doesn't compare with my newer Smiths. As my budget is limited at the moment, the best option I can think of is trading both of my Smiths for a New Service in excellent condition.
My question is would a New Service be a worthwhile trade for my two Smiths? I've heard it said often that there are very few gunsmiths left that can work on old Colts, and that they can go out of time. As my revolver would also be necessary for home defense of the need arises, I wouldn't want to worry about it malfunctioning on me. Going from two revolvers to one (although my wife still has her snubnose revolver) seems daunting in this era, but if I had to have just one, the New Service would be it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a decision you can live with is all that matters. Sounds like your heart is set on a Colt New Service, so use your Smith's to make it happen. Look for a good one and don't settle.
I agree 100%, my heart keeps coming back to the New Service. Speaking of my S&W 586, I remember that I purchased it solely because it reminded me of the Python, but was within my budget and available new. I also bought my Model 10 last year because I wanted a service revolver, but couldn't find a decent New Service. So I was a Colt fan all along! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be able to keep the 10. The 586 and some cash could get you a decent New Service.
If it were me I would save up to get a nice example and keep the Smiths. Your not gonna want to work the NS as hard as you can the Smiths.
You've got a great point there, and both of my Smiths are really nice guns...the 10 is a classic service revolver in its own right and my 586 feels really good in the hand. And to be fair, if I have a really nice New Service it might end up being a safe queen.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,915 Posts
Remember too that shooting an old Colt doesn't destroy value as long as you take care of it. I shoot alot of mine, just not every week. I rotate my guns on the range so I may shoot my 1st gen SAA's 3 or 4 times a year each. I keep the round count low per use, maybe 2 or 3 cylinders. My 686+, on the other hand, see's 150-200 rounds per use.

This gun has a little over 13,000 rounds in the last 25 years. The only thing replaced on her is the grips ( twice ). Not bad, treat your Colt the same and you will not break it or kill the value.
Revolver Grey Gun accessory Air gun Gun barrel

Revolver Trigger Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
As my revolver would also be necessary for home defense of the need arises, I wouldn't want to worry about it malfunctioning on me.
The New Service is one of my favorite Colts. It's a massive gun, which is part of what I love about it - there's no other gun quite like it. But if you have average sized hands like I do, it may not be ideal as a home defense gun. I would stick with one of the S&Ws for home defense gun and buy a New Service as a collector/occasional range gun.

You also mention that you love your S&Ws. I've never traded a gun I loved without regretting it. If you can hold out, take the time to save up some cash to buy a New Service without trading your Smiths. I think you'll be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Remember too that shooting an old Colt doesn't destroy value as long as you take care of it. I shoot alot of mine, just not every week. I rotate my guns on the range so I may shoot my 1st gen SAA's 3 or 4 times a year each. I keep the round count low per use, maybe 2 or 3 cylinders. My 686+, on the other hand, see's 150-200 rounds per use.

This gun has a little over 13,000 rounds in the last 25 years. The only thing replaced on her is the grips ( twice ). Not bad, treat your Colt the same and you will not break it or kill the value.
View attachment 741327
View attachment 741328
That's great advice, and since I don't get out to the range much more than 2 to 3 times a year to conserve ammo, that would limit the stress. My goal is to make my revolvers outlive me and pass them down to my sons someday.
That's a great looking 686! What brand grips are those? My 586 has the stock grips but they are a bit different (there is an L-shaped cutout, probably for clearing a speedloader). I'd like to get a set of Altamont's coke bottle grips for a more classic feel. I just had to buy a replacement set of grips for my 10, the Smith & Wesson medallions fell out of the originals and I feel I'm going to muck them up if I superglue them back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The New Service is one of my favorite Colts. It's a massive gun, which is part of what I love about it - there's no other gun quite like it. But if you have average sized hands like I do, it may not be ideal as a home defense gun. I would stick with one of the S&Ws for home defense gun and buy a New Service as a collector/occasional range gun.

You also mention that you love your S&Ws. I've never traded a gun I loved without regretting it. If you can hold out, take the time to save up some cash to buy a New Service without trading your Smiths. I think you'll be much happier in the long run.
Same here! I love the fact it is such a massive gun. I also have average size hands, in fact there are times my factory 586 grips feel a bit oversized for my hands. My 10 feels great with the small round grips. If I had to trade one for the New Service, it would probably be the 586 for that reason...I keep coming back to the 10 as the choice for my nightstand drawer.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The 586/686 series S&W's, especially the pre-lock versions have appreciated in value quite a bit recently. The Model 10's still are in demand from those who want a no frills home defense weapon and have also creeped up a bit in value.
Before doing any trading I would sure try to get some "comps" on those two guns. The Colt New Service falls within the colllectible gun category and may not have gone up as much in value during the recent guns and ammo shortages and being 100 years old or so, may need some mechanical work. Meaning $$ unless you can do it yourself.

If at all possible, I would try and find a reasonably priced New Service and buy it. Then determine if you really like it.
You might be sorry if you had traded for it and then can't find another 586.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,915 Posts
That's great advice, and since I don't get out to the range much more than 2 to 3 times a year to conserve ammo, that would limit the stress. My goal is to make my revolvers outlive me and pass them down to my sons someday.
That's a great looking 686! What brand grips are those? My 586 has the stock grips but they are a bit different (there is an L-shaped cutout, probably for clearing a speedloader). I'd like to get a set of Altamont's coke bottle grips for a more classic feel. I just had to buy a replacement set of grips for my 10, the Smith & Wesson medallions fell out of the originals and I feel I'm going to muck them up if I superglue them back.
Those are Altamont conversion grips with medallions. I also have a set of Eagle Grips that are 'coke bottle' style. I am not a huge fan of RB revolvers so all of the ones I own have round to square conversions on them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all again for the great advice so far, I decided to hang onto my Smiths and buy the Colt in addition instead of an outright trade. I've got two Colts in my sights right now, a Model 1917 (still a New Service in my mind) that is selling for about $900 and is in good condition, other than some patina and a few dings. The rifling and bore is crisp. So far, this is my top choice. I also found a mint condition 1963 Official Police in .38 SPL for the same price. While it isn't a New Service or Model 1917, it is a nice looking revolver.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You might be able to keep the 10. The 586 and some cash could get you a decent New Service.
If it were me I would save up to get a nice example and keep the Smiths. Your not gonna want to work the NS as hard as you can the Smiths.
That was my first idea either. Years ago I parted with an M 10 4" with the pencil barrel and I still regret.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my first idea either. Years ago I parted with an M 10 4" with the pencil barrel and I still regret.
I did the same thing with my very first firearm, an Enfield 303 No.4 Mk1 that was a South African issue. The bore was so corroded the cartridge necks expanded in the bore, and I didn't have the money at the time to have it re-barrelled. I still regret letting that one go!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Thank you all again for the great advice so far, I decided to hang onto my Smiths and buy the Colt in addition instead of an outright trade.
Personally, I believe that is a good move on your part. The M10 and 586 are both quality guns, easy to handle and simple to work on. The New Service is a great gun but also much larger and more difficult to work on.
Buying a NS outright also means you go from 2 guns to the early stages of joining us hoarders with 3 handguns. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll definitely be a hoarder now with this purchase! The 1917 is out, as it is already pending sale. However, I found another nice New Service that was converted from 455 Wesley to 45 Colt. Are conversions safe to use, at least with cowboy action loads?

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
If you're going to get a New Service or its military cousing, a Model 1917 - get an unscrewed with one - that means no caliber conversions or re-done finishes.

Learn about what they 'should' look like, before opening your wallet - there are loads of good photos on this site, so pay attention.

There are still a lot of them out there, but spares and gunsmiths to keep them up and running are few and far between, so you're forewarned.

Were I you, I'd try shooting one of the things - they're on the large size, with a heavy DA pull and not all that comfortable unless your hands are on the large size, and you want your piece to be ergonomically friendly to 'your' hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good call, I would prefer an original example but most seem to be available in 455 Eley...which is both expensive and hard to find (and 455 Webley ammo is all I can find). While I haven't held a New Service, I have held an Army Special in 38 Special (the forerunner to the Official Police) and it feels very comfortable in my hands.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good Afternoon All,
Thank you all again for the warm newbie's welcome on the forum! Currently, I own two Smith & Wessons out of their Classics line, a Model 586 with 4 inch barrel and a Model 10 with the 4 inch heavy barrel. While I love the looks of both guns, I have been wanting a Colt New Service in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. There is just something about the New Service and its history that doesn't compare with my newer Smiths. As my budget is limited at the moment, the best option I can think of is trading both of my Smiths for a New Service in excellent condition.
My question is would a New Service be a worthwhile trade for my two Smiths? I've heard it said often that there are very few gunsmiths left that can work on old Colts, and that they can go out of time. As my revolver would also be necessary for home defense of the need arises, I wouldn't want to worry about it malfunctioning on me. Going from two revolvers to one (although my wife still has her snubnose revolver) seems daunting in this era, but if I had to have just one, the New Service would be it.
I would do it in a heartbeat. But, the question is, do you have someone on line who'd be willing to do it? I took a new 586 in a trade with a friend, but when I tried to move it at the next gunshow, I couldn't give it away. Nobody wanted a new Smith with the lock. I took a licking on that one. I don't want to sound like a glass half empty type, just sayin' if you have a chance, jump on it.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
The S&W Classic line only looks like the originals...if they come with the Hillary Hole I would unload them in a heartbeat. The New Service will hold its value in the long run as it's an original...not a reproduction or continuation even by the original maker.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts