Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 3rd Gen SAA in .45, but I need advice as I know nothing about single action Colts. Up until now I have been a double action guy through and through:D

I've attached pictures below.

It's in 45 LC and apparently it has never been fired. I had just a few minutes to examine the gun and in that short time it certainly looked unfired or if fired it was probably very very little. The blue and case hardening are perfect as are the grips. The box is the wood grain type and is in bad shape but this is not a deal breaker for me.

Any advice or experience you could offer would be appreciated.

When was it likely to have been manufactured?

What would be the market price in the US?

Regards, Racingsnake

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looks good here. Mosy likely made after mid 70's, with that box. You can check by the serial number. Price... $1,200 - $1,500 US.
Availability in your area?

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
That one looks great. A classic Colt SAA in a classic caliber. If you buy it you won't regret it.
+1 for me on that sentiment. Of all the Single actions in my collection of Colts, I do not have a 45LC in the long barrel. I have USFA's , but tis not the same. Every one that has been for sale locally just wasn't priced right for the condition it was in.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's in 45 LC and apparently it has never been fired. I had just a few minutes to examine the gun and in that short time it certainly looked unfired or if fired it was probably very very little. The blue and case hardening are perfect as are the grips. The box is the wood grain type and is in bad shape but this is not a deal breaker for me.

Any advice or experience you could offer would be appreciated.

Regards, Racingsnake
In the states if you can get that piece for under four figures you're doing good. .45LC as common as it gets for chambering but the 7.5" tubes tend to be less desirable in terms of resale. Most want 4.75 or 5.5 inchers for the looks, balance, and feel.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So how much do they want for it? The 7 1/2 are fun to shoot. Are you going to hunt with it?

Ronin

·
Registered
376 Posts
Snake, whats the approx serial number of the piece? will give you a better idea of its manufacture date. If I was in SA mate for 900 bucks I'd be first in line to buy!! Looks as you discribe. They are real fun to shoot, you will not regret purchasing - dont let it get away. Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
GunPoor was right that the shorter barrels are more desirable, and that stands in any Colt variety of pistol. For the single actions though, I also see the 5.5" mostly for sale. the 4 3/4" sale real quick. The longer barrels will sale, but probably the collectors like me that want all of them is the likely buyer. They are fun to shoot though. Also agree that $900 is a good deal with the condition of that gun. looking at the upper half of the styrofoam in the photo, the gun has spent some time in the box to stain it. Typical and no issue as long as gun is good. That side of the gun which we can see appears to be in great shape too. the case coloring is outstanding, IMO. You could sell that gun for more than you would be paying for it immediately.. I hope you get it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The serial number requires some explanation...

During the apartheid years of South Africa an arms embargo was instituted by the UN. The intention was to restrict the sale of military and police weapons to South Africa but it had implications for certain civilian guns as well. There was obviously some concern from manufacturers and dealers supplying handguns to South Africa that they would be implicated in supporting the government. So during the late seventies some guns had new serial numbers allocated to avoid being traced back to original exporters.

Interestingly though we don't see guns from the 80's with changed numbers even though the embargo was still in place.

We do come accross certain American guns imported in the seventies with these special numbers allocated and this SAA is one of them so I can't date it. The serial number changes were done very professionally and involved milling out the original number very slightly and stamping a new number starting with WR, which stands for Wapen Register (Weapons Register in English).

Long story I know but I guess we'll have to estimate the age based on the model and box.

The WR serial number may or may not add to the collectability of the gun depending on one's interest in the history behind it's allocation.

Best regards, Racingsnake

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I just learned something, thank you RacingSnake.
For $900 I'd buy it. It seems like it might have some history from your Country & at any rate will be a great shooter. I think that would be a good price (here) for a shooter. The .45 Colt is a very good cartridge, very reloadable, accurate, & a lot of fun. The 7-1/2" bbl makes hitting easier.
I think you will enjoy it, & please let us know if you get it & if you get it, a range report.
Thanks
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts