Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am getting ready to sell a 3rd Gen SAA locally here in Southern California. I did not do much research before I purchased it, as I just wanted a peacemaker in its configuration. I purchased it unfired and unturned as new. It is Nickel plated with a 4 3/4 inch barrel in 45LC. I installed Mammoth Fossil Ivory because real Ivory is not legal in California. I only displayed it and have not fired it. It has all the box and accessories including the original grips. I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a price window for this gun. It is an early 3rd gen so my question is does that hurt its value compared with the other similar items for sale. I appreciate your input.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Desirable finish and barrel length. Stocks should help value. Box and papers help value. I'd guesstimate $1600 - $1800 depending on how bad you want to sell. You might list in the Classified Section of this forum. You will deal with a better class of customer than if you list on GB.:D

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Desirable finish and barrel length. Stocks should help value. Box and papers help value. I'd guesstimate $1600 - $1800 depending on how bad you want to sell. You might list in the Classified Section of this forum. You will deal with a better class of customer than if you list on GB.:D
+1. Take good, sharp photos. Best of luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I paid a bit more, but it usually turns out that way. I paid $1500 for the colt, but the grips were a bit pricey. I purchased the colt from Boise Guns and one of their guys did the grips. His name was cactus tubbs and he did a great job. I think the problem is that I paid too much for the Mammoth Ivory material. Maybe I'll just keep it, as it she a looker, but it would be a shame to lock it into a dark safe for years haha. I'll kick it around. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was just pricing mammoth ivory (the dealer told me it was cheaper as a raw material than real ivory). I went with the real stuff on two Colt's and an OM "flattop".

Anyway, mammoth ivory stocks were about $600-$700.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
... Maybe I'll just keep it, as it she a looker, but it would be a shame to lock it into a dark safe for years haha. I'll kick it around. Thanks again!
Why keep it locked away? Take it out and shoot it and enjoy it for why it was made. You're not going to hurt the value all that much, certainly less than if you sell the gun for a loss. I just don't understand buying new, or recent manufacture SAAs and locking them away; in 20 or 30 years there are going to be more NIB SAAs than honestly used ones.

Best regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased 2. One I shoot a lot. I was told by a few people including the colt customer service rep that you don't want to shoot a Nickel finish a ton. That's why I chose to display this one. This gun is the only one in my collection that I have not shot.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
shoot it, clean it and then shoot some more, repeat. shooting a nickel gun will not hurt it. but it will leave carbon residue on the front of the cylinder thats hard too remove or impossible to remove. but hey it's a third gen and made to be shot and enjoyed. how about some pics.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Brand new from custom shop would be a little over $1,500 for the nickel gun and $800 for the Colt factory installed ivory. I have one on order and it's approaching 15 months and counting wait time already. Add taxes to that and you are at $2,300 for a new 3rd gen. Just for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Paid $450 for Ivory one piece grip for my 3rd Gen, 4 3/4, Nickel plated , 38/40 SA--fitted--installed. Paid $1,100 for the new Colt.
Ronin

·
Registered
357 Posts
I purchased 2. One I shoot a lot. I was told by a few people including the colt cus

Customer service rep that you don't want to shoot a Nickel finish a ton. That's why I chose to display this one. This gun is the only one in my collection that I have not shot.
That is utterly ridiculous! Whoever told you not to shoot a Colt SAA with nickel finish doesn't know much about them!
I own probably 15 Colt SAA's in nickel as well as assorted S&W (27,29,36,37,40,19,) as well as several other makes, all in nickel
I have one pair of matched 5 1/2" Colt SAA 45 cal, nickel, that I have shot in competition for the past 12 years.Over 75000 rounds through each revolver without a glitch, action, finish, not a single broken part or evidence of nickel wear!
No peeling of the nickel, frosting, nickel loss of any kind. Still look new. They have withstood severe abuse, (dropping on loading tables, staged on many different types props, etc.)The action work was done by Bob James in Phoenix and have not even experienced a broke spring, much less any problem with the factory nickel plating. And this pair of Colts are early 1990's vintage, not exactly Colt's finest production period. They have held up as good or better than any of my stainless firearms.
Dont't let anyone fool you or give you false information: Colt Nickel plated SAA's wear incredibly well.I fully expect to put another 75000 rounds through each of my competition nickel SAA's!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
General statements like that are usually BS. So one guy shot a lot of jacketed bullets thru his Nickel Colt and it peeled a little at the muzzle perhaps...maybe. Hardly a credible indictment of a lot of shooting in nickel plated Colts!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Nickled .45 that I bought in 68. I have shot the snot out of it and carried it all over the place. Outside of a few scratches it still looks almost new. I wouldn't worry about the finish!

With all this "ivory grip" replacement going on, does any one have a set of the orriginal hard rubber grips with the eagle that they want to get rid of?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts