Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this 1919 vintage Remington 51 .380 home this afternoon. The shop was tired of it occupying shelf space. So, the price was right.......
The story that they threw in for free was that a G. I. carried it in Vietnam and that it “saved his life twice”. I bought the gun for its’ own sake.

Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Nice gun! If the price was right, I'd be taking it to the range today.
Pawn shops around here seem to be big corporate chains and believe all their guns are collectors items and priced accordingly. Trying to talk the the counter guy down is like trying to talk a dentist out of pulling a tooth.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Nice Score cda...!!

And it's from the right era...ie, not recent production !!

History tells us that no less a personality than General George S. Patton asked his family to get him a R51 while he was away at war. Remington fulfilled that request with a refurbished used model.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well done Charles.
I paid $300. for mine a few years ago at a show. The last one I had seen at a shop around here was $650. with a beat up old holster and the blue wear to go with it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was stickered @ $325.99. I got for $200 + tax.
pretty good deal. the pawn shop probably paid the poor guy who was trying to raise his rent money $50 for it and acted like they were doing him a favor..........

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The story is that the guy has arthritis to the point that cycling the slide was difficult. He sold this to them and bought a S&W M&P.380EZ that he can operate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Charles,

You did well. For $200+Tax I would have bought it. Take it to the range, test the function, and accuracy. Clean her up and be ready for the next trip.

You should be able to get your money back out if you have to sale. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
While gun shopping in a pawn shop, I watched and listened to a deal being made between a desperate seller and his lady friend. He had a $500.00 gun and they were telling him he could pawn it for $75.00 or sell it outright for $125.00. I was ashamed for the shop and felt sorry for the seller. I so much wanted to insert myself into the conversation and offer $400.00 for the piece, but I just kept my mouth shut and minded my own business.

There is a difference in doing business and robbing desperate people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts