Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Well, I found it interesting non the less.

Thanks for the story and links Hootch !!

The haul of rifles in Ethiopia.

The haul of rifles in Ethiopia.

Royal Tiger was able to purchase a number of these weapons and import them into the US. They are listing the weapons on their web site, https://www.royaltigerimports.com/Default.asp, beginning at $999.99 for a standard model and up to $1,699.99 for and excellent to unused condition model. Some are offered with original magazines, slings, and/or oilers.

Other rifles include British SMLE Lee-Enfield .303 rifles, pre-WWI rifles from countries like France and Belgium, unmodified German 98Ks, Italian Carcano rifles and even many made in the 1800s.

Most of the rifles are in great shape due to the dry arid climate that lacks the moisture to damage the wooden stocks or metal components. The M1 Carbines in particular are unmodified versions shipped in 1945.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ancient or not, I found the story very interesting. Many moons ago I had an IBM Carbine.

Would like to get another - preferably Winchester. I have a Dealer's License which authorises possession of semi-auto military rifles. Except. Our esteemed lawmakers have introduced what is called "Appearance Laws". Because the M1 resembles an M2 carbine it is classified in their tiny minds as a full auto. Scares the frilly panties off them. End of whinge. :)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Thanks Hutch, good article!

The M1 Carbine market is really hot now. The 5 M1 Carbines I've sold in the past several weeks went very quickly at my asking price.

Inland

Wood Trigger Air gun Natural material Shotgun

SP

Air gun Table Wood Trigger Shotgun

NPM

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Natural material Plywood

QH

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

IBM

Wood Air gun Plant Knife Blade

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s great to read about discoveries like this and nice they are all coming home.
I was lucky enough to find a WWII carbine recently and now I will have to figure out how to correctly complete the data sheet to figure out exactly what I have.
Thanks for posting Hutch.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
This may be the most valuable M1 Carbine in existence...issued to and used by Audie Murphy. It's in a Texas museum. He always referred to it as his "lucky Carbine" and was damaged by a mortar round blast and he repaired the stock with wire and kept using it. In the display is the German sniper rifle (not shown) he kept after using the Carbine to eliminate the sniper. The Carbine has some Korean-era modifications and upgrades. Years later he still remembered the Carbine's serial number and a search of Army records as made and it was found in storage still...it could just as easily have been sold surplus, used as foreign aid or destroyed.

Wood Font Building Publication Hardwood

Wood Motor vehicle Toy Scale model Asphalt

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Thanks for your post! I did a little research and found this article which references Murphy's carbine being at the 3rd Infantry Division Museum at Fort Stewart, GA.

Now curious, I called the 3rd ID Museum and asked about Murphy's carbine. The curator said they had it and ran a computer search of their collection with the result being 1108783.

I see another road trip in my future!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts