Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Amazing...

Would the on-board 'Cannons' cause any problems under the GCA of 1968 though? Far as importing it to the U. S. ?

Or would they be some sort of 'AOW'?

·
Registered
685 Posts
The cannons would have to be removed. You can no longer register a NFA weapon and bring it into the country, unless for law enforcement or military use. A gentleman just had his Skyraider confiscated by the U.S. government when he tried to import it complete with machine guns/cannons intact and functional. His case has been going on for a couple of years and the last I read was that the government was going to scrap the plane and guns.
As for the propeller, well that was the German's answer to the Toyota Prius!

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Looks like it was a Variable Pitch Prop too...which I guess would make sense if one wanted to control the output of the Generator.

Anyone know any details of what the 'Cannons' likely were in this?

Was this a Pulse Jet?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks like it was a Variable Pitch Prop too...which I guess would make sense if one wanted to control the output of the Generator
sort of it's own voltage regulator.
pretty wild!

·
Registered
67 Posts
It had a rocket motor. Took off and went almost straight up to try and shoot down Allied bombers flying at 20k feet plus altitude. Then it glided back without power (maybe Snapps). It was armed with two 20mm fast firing aircraft cannons. The little prop was to spin a generator for power to the gauges and guns. Overall, not very successful.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I bet the trip back, and landing, especially at Night...would have been a bee-hatch.

I think we had a lot of Bombers then which operated at more like 45,000 feet on their Bombing Runs...

It was during some of these Daytime Bombing Runs in which Migrating Swans were noticed to be flying at 45,000 feet or even slightly higher elevations...something which previously had been undetected, since no one flew that high other than in some occasional experiments. Balloons of course could get a lot higher.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think we had a lot of Bombers then which operated at more like 45,000 feet on their Bombing Runs...

It was during some of these Daytime Bombing Runs in which Migrating Swans were noticed to be flying at 45,000 feet or even slightly higher elevations...something which previously had been undetected, since no one flew that high other than in some occasional experiments. Balloons of course could get a lot higher.
That's a little high, most high level bomb runs were in the mid-twenties to low-thirtys back then. Service ceiling for the B-24 was only about 28,000 feet, the B-17 was around 36,000 but it was rare for it to get up that high. Migrating swans have been spotted as high as about 30,000 feet. As I recall, the record altitude for a bird strike was a vulture somewhere around 37,000 feet, although it was likely carried up by an updraft or thunderstorm.

Most commercial airliners these days don't even get up to 45,000. Most traffic up there is military and some business jets.

I seem to recall Germany lost more 163's to accidents than to enemy action. The rocket fuel was very volatile, and a small leak could easily lead to an explosion.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Actually, yes, thank you, I was not remembering right...it was later, in the '50s, and I think B-52s seeing Migrating Swans. I hope I am not goofed up...fairly certain I had read years ago that in some context of Military use of Pigeons with Bombers, and, sorry I was getting WWII mixed up with Cold War...some reference where they were describing the method for tossing a Carrier Pigeon from a Bomber at 45,000 feet...they would put the Pigeon and it's attached Message of course, into a Brown Paper Bag...crinkle the Bag top down, and, toss the poor thing out into the horrifically onrushing Air...the Bag protected the Pigeon just enough so it would not be torn or broken to shreds...the Pigeon would have quite a long time to get itself out of the Bag, and, usually somewhere down in the 20s, would get out, tuck in, continue it's desent, and begin to fly to it's destination to deliver the attached message.

Anyway, somewhere in all that, was the mention of seeing Migrating Swans at that altitude...so, most likely B-52s then I would think.

Dunno when they stopped having Carrier Pigeons as an emergency Back-up for Radio or other communications failures or from A-Bomb detonations frying the communications systems...or, maybe they still do use them? Don't know...

Indeed, Swans do not usually fly that high, but sometimes, for whatever reason, they do, and have...maybe catching Jet Streams.

45,000 would be miserable cold and mighty thin Air...for sure...especially if undergoing exertion.

Sounds familiar on the loss by fire for the 163s...the whole thing was all kinds of risky! Eeeeeeesh, brilliant, daring, but lots of 'iffy'.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's totally cool. When I was a kid I used to make models of Luftwaffe aircraft, and I really liked the oddball ones like the Komet. The Komets were definitely last ditch weapons, with very short flying time of around seven minutes. And dangerous as heck to fly too, since the fuel essentially made them flying bombs. Wouldn't it be nice to be wealthy enough to own this aircraft!

Wikipedia has a nice write-up: Messerschmitt Me 163 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.