Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never liked the looks of Cattle Brand engraving, I guess if you grew up in cattle country and recognized some of the brands it would be worth something to you, but it leaves me cold.
I was appreciating the workmanship and overall appearance.
I don't need one either

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Neat gun. Thanks for pointing it out. I'd bet it goes north of $3500 and closer to 5K. A lot better guns available that you can actually shoot for 5K.

Down sides for me? Texas brands obviously. Really nice BP Colt originally, that someone decided they just had to engrave :rolleyes: But very modern engraving (which the engraver repeats on many guns) and recent giraffe bone grips (Nutmeg I'd bet) kills it for me.

Still, seriously, it is a nice gun and worth every penny the new owner pays for it. Right two buyers start bidding on this one and it likely won't go cheap.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have never been a big fan of cattle brand guns, although I do recognize some of the brands and it truly IS pretty...it's just not my thing.
OK...it's also going to be well above my budget.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think I like it, although I don't usually go for Cattle Brand guns. I like the XIT portion, have always enjoyed learning about it (having lived in Amarillo helped with that).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Considering it is already over $3K and there's still four days left, I'm guessing Cozmo is right if not even a little light. I wish I could have seen the gun before engraving. Was it perfect? Has it been rebuilt?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Looking at a 1911 on Laster's FB page with engraving and gold inlay it is obvious he is capable of doing a good job with a really rough starting point.

Does make my eyes water though looking at that two line, FSS barrel and the uncut front sight.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I checked in with Mr. Laster on this one last week. Gun in question was engraved 4 years ago. Cost for the same engraving today? "I would charge $1500." I'd assume for that price (engraving only) is without the grips (Nutmeg would grips for $500 plus shipping) Silver plate on top of that. Call it an easy add on of $2500. to your gun.

I do like it, just not a big fan of cattle brands all over a gun, even our own. If I had a connection to Texas ranching I'd likely be bidding on this one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, it looks like a lot of folks with deep pockets thought it was worth investing in. It went for $7550.00.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Cozmo said:
Still, seriously, it is a nice gun and worth every penny the new owner pays for it. Right two buyers start bidding on this one and it likely won't go cheap.
Damn! Hard to think anyone would drop $7500 US Amerikan dollars on this one. I have a hard time imagining it was a very good value for that kind of money :) Was that two good old boys from Texas bidding? Hope the winning bidder enjoys the gun!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do like it, just not a big fan of cattle brands all over a gun, even our own.
I resolved that problem on mine by having my own brand engraved on it, in just one location. The rest of the gun was more conventional scrollwork and such.
But there's nothing wrong with the one in the OP's post. It's a matter of personal preference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts