Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This S&W 520 is going to go well with my Python\'s!

This recently acquired NIB, Smith & Wesson Model 520 NYSP revolver, ought to go well with my Python's!:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: This S&W 520 is going to go well with my Python\'s!

That's a beautiful pistol. What's a 520? It looks like a K frame. Is it a variation of a Model 19?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Calvin; The M-520 was a fix sighted N frame built for the New York State Police,around 1980. They were NOT marked NYSP,as the NYSP NEVER accepted them! So,the 3,000,were sold commercially.

Some,consider it the finest police revolver ever made(especially if you believe in bashing skulls,or dropping your gun,where adjustable sights can break).

They are usually found in excellent shape,as they were snapped up by collectors,many being safe queens. I shoot mine,even though it is nearly "mint". Very accurate with the highly touted Federal 125 jhps(and equivalent handloads).

Note the slightly rounded stocks at the bottom; These are called "P.C.",or plain clothes. The M-520 and the M-58(fixed sighted .41 mag,with NO ejector shroud) were the only 2 N frames to be factory equipped with these "stocks".

Prices vary from $500 to upwards,obviously more with box,etc.

Hope this helps, Bud
P.S. NYSP bought 'lighter framed S&Ws'. Should have kept their .45 Colt New Services!!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
What's a 520? It looks like a K frame. Is it a variation of a Model 19?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's where S&W muddied the water. The original M520 (the one pictured) is a fix sighted N-frame .357 magnum. The new M520 that they just came out with is an adjustable sighted L-frame .357 magnum. Now won't that sweet of them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: This S&W 520 is going to go well with my Pytho

Thanks Lonewolf and Majic. I was confused by the fact that I did a couple of searches when this was first posted and saw the new ones that they are making. Couldn't figure out why the old one would have the same model number. I don't know that much about Smiths, I own mainly Colts and Rugers. My experience with Smiths is limited to shooting my dad's service revolvers, Model 19s and 66s, when I was a kid (he retired with 20+ years as a police officer).

·
Registered
75 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Calvin;

Note the slightly rounded stocks at the bottom; These are called "P.C.",or plain clothes. The M-520 and the M-58(fixed sighted .41 mag,with NO ejector shroud) were the only 2 N frames to be factory equipped with these "stocks".

[/ QUOTE ]

These stocks are also called 'modified magna's'.

·
Registered
323 Posts

You will see that same rounded-butt configuration on some K-frames, i.e., variations of the M-10 and M-12. Interestingly, on the K's, the PC stock won't interchange from a M-12 to a M-10...Thickness differences between alloy frame and steel frame.
Don

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Calvin; an "original" S&W M-520 was just posted on the S&W Forum--woops,its gone! 21 minutes!! And a lot of us over there thought that was long!!

Price $600,98% w/box-and the photos show it!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Calvin,
Another unusal fact to the naming of the new L-frame M520 is that name is also wrong by their numbering system. With a titanium cylinder it should be a M320 since all of their titanium cylinder model's name begin with a "3".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts