Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory Info Notes 45/c, BNL, Blue, SNL, Delivered to U.S. Govt Inspector at Colt Plant on 1-28-1885, 100 Guns. This gun was in last Government Shipment w/round eject heads. All future Gov't Orders specified the more compact Oval rod heads.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
What was the significance of one vs the other?
Vic

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
What is the serial number assigned to this Cavalry Model revolver? The later oval style ejector rod head was adopted by the Ordnance Department at or near 114475.

As asked above, as to significance, the bullseye ejector rod head was abandoned in favour of the oval ejector rod head due to the compactness of the latter and the lessened proclivity to snag on an object, such as the inside of a holster when the user required the need to withdraw rapidly.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
I’m sure the holster problem was legitimate but I like the look. Its nice we have choices and part supplies! 😂. Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I really like the bullseye ejector rod heads and have added that type to my 7 1/2" USFA .45 Colt and 7 1/2" .44-40.
I have a nice Eubanks No. 820 holster and it does clear the bullseye head without any problems.
USFA .45 & Eubanks No. 820 1.JPG

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure an expert will be along shortly, but I believe the round head was problematic with a holster: it caught on the holster and was more easily damaged than the oval.
I agree with mustango's and mrcvs' comments - round vs. oval heads.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the serial number assigned to this Cavalry Model revolver? The later oval style ejector rod head was adopted by the Ordnance Department at or near 114475.

As asked above, as to significance, the bullseye ejector rod head was abandoned in favour of the oval ejector rod head due to the compactness of the latter and the lessened proclivity to snag on an object, such as the inside of a holster when the user required the need to withdraw rapidly.
The SN of the subject Colt SAA is 114319. I think that somewhere in Kopec's book is the comment that this shipment of 100 guns was the last with round ejector heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To me, in my experience, the round "bullseye" heads helps a more positive ejection, especially when a case gets in it's mind to be temperamental on coming out.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To me, in my experience, the round "bullseye" heads helps a more positive ejection, especially when a case gets in it's mind to be temperamental on coming out.
I personally like the round ejector head too. As you say, it gives more leverage in ejecting difficult shells. My 1st gen shooter is a 1905 gun, but I fitted a round ejector head to it. I never had hangup problems with a holster, but then too, I don't use an 1874 or 1885 pattern U.S. regulation holster.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I prefer the bullseye also. I know if you order a holster from EPS you need to specify bullseye ejector in the special notes part of your order. There is a fit difference.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I prefer the bullseye also. I know if you order a holster from EPS you need to specify bullseye ejector in the special notes part of your order. There is a fit difference.
That is interesting about EPS. Their pouches must fit very closely to a gun's profile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts